Samsung Starts Making 4TB QLC SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalHob

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
If you using B and b in the units to indicate bytes and bits, in the table, I believe all entries under Chip Capacity should be expressed in bits (Gb, Tb) and for 2018, Drive Capacity should be 4TB not 4Tb.

Bothered me too. I can't read past the chart as I don't trust it.

No not really they both are units of space. You are thinking when you add time, like Gigabytes Per Second or Gigabits Per Second to show how much over a period of time.

b = bits
B = Bytes

Like CalHob said.

eltoro

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
@Jaber2 "b is used most often for measure of speed while B is more for space"
This is not accurate.
You're right about network speed or rate, which is usually described with bits ("b"), while storage speed is usually described with bytes ("B"). So it's not only used to describe space.

No its not ever a measure of speed. Sorry but that is wrong. This is like saying feet is used to show speed but miles is used to show distance. There are 5,280 feet in a mile and 8 bits in a Byte. They are all units of measurement and if you want to show speed you could say feet per second, miles per hour, bits per second, Bytes per minute, etc.

You must add time like seconds to it to say this much over this time then you can have speed. The b = bits the B = Bytes. There is nothing more to it. I wish people wouldn't spread incorrect information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data-rate_units

dstarr3

Distinguished
b is bit, B is byte, one byte is eight bits. That's all there is to it. Nothing to do with speed or any kind of use case. Comparing a bit to a byte is like comparing a foot to a yard. One is just many of the other. That's it. They measure the same stuff, just in different quantities.

But this is all why it's important to be consistent in which unit you're actually using, because it's real easy to be wrong by a factor of 8.

inanition02

Distinguished
The b vs B also calls to mind all the HDDs that say 2TB* (*- TB = 1000GB)...

And then people are surprised when they install the drives and Windows reports it as less. Aside from the fact that formatting takes a bit, there's also the fact that if your TB is 1B * 1000 (to KB) * 1000 (to MB) * 1000 (to GB) * 1000 (to TB) or 1 TB = 1,000,000,000 B...then your math is off. Because it's actually 1024 B in a KB and 1024 KB in a MB and so on. So your 2TB drive that has an even 2 billion bytes? It's 1.82 TB by the true measure...

TomHaX

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
How can you UNSUBSCRIBE from newsletter? I click subscribe by error when trying to login, and now my account settings does not allow to unsubscribe.

On the other hand, in relation to article, bring larger external portable SSD to boot Mac and work from it all day long: 4TB, 8TB and 16TB.

magnus909

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Samsung hasn't provided random performance metrics or endurance, both of which are more important than sequential throughput.

Sequential throughput becomes much more important than acces times/Random read/writes, for the bigger terabyte drives.
You will have larger media files on them rather than an OS or program files or a bunch of small temp files for a web browser.
Most of us already own a separate smaller drive for that anyway!
Endurance though with 4 bits/cell will be very interesting to see the numbers for.
For every new generation where a new bit has been added, the endurance numbers have been falling.

.... and I was saying that is slap wrong. It's like saying miles are used to show car speed usually so that must mean speed and feet must mean distance because we use that to measure mostly. Sillly right? Its miles per hour for speed not simply miles, right? Same for bits or Bytes they are units of measure which can be used to show speed of networks etc if you ad over a time just like mph is saying so many miles over an hour. Yes I think we all get it now.

eltoro

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Oh come on! Of course, a time unit must be added for the whole "amount per time" units to be considered as a speed unit, I was only referring to units used for the data amount part. From what you said it would seem that I could consider "10Mb" as a speed unit. Did you really think that was logical?
The discussing/comparison is between 10MB/sec to 10Mb/sec.
I really wish people would stop looking for places where they could show off how smarter they are, while actually being so short-sighted to miss the real meaning of what people actually meant.

My response was to Jaber's comment for saying: "b is used most often for measure of speed while B is more for space"
You were trying to argue this is true.

This is a completely false statement. I am not trying to show how smart I am. I simply do not want people that may not know better believing this is even remotely true.

Status
Not open for further replies.