Samsung Sues LG Display for Lacking Innovation

Status
Not open for further replies.

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
[citation][nom]axiler[/nom]I didn't know you could sue for the lack of innovation..[/citation]

Samsung is trying to say that the patents LG has are invalid, because the patents were not innovative. Samsung believes the patents should never have been given, because they brought nothing new that wasinnovative.

It beaks down to this...

I cant patent taking a step where you start with your right foot, becasue its too basic to walking. The patent of taking a first step with your right foot is not innovative.

[citation][nom]axiler[/nom]I didn't know you could sue for the lack of innovation..[/citation]

Samsung is suing to get rid of LG's patents because they lack innovation. You can't patent something that already exists. A patent is supposed to be for a new, unique product.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
The article is misleading, especially the title. The key point of the suit is that Samsung wants certain LGD's patents invalidated on the basis of lack of innovation, not LGD's total lack of innovation. Please don't be a yellow tabloid, Tom's Hardware.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]wanderer11[/nom]Samsung is suing to get rid of LG's patents because they lack innovation. You can't patent something that already exists. A patent is supposed to be for a new, unique product.[/citation]
Sorry, you're wrong. There are countless patents for hammers and light bulbs. If you invent a better hammer, you're allowed to patent it, as long as it's different from existing hammers.

Another complaint people try to use to invalidate a patent is saying it's obvious. Obvious to who? All good ideas are obvious AFTER you've seen it. That's why people go "why didn't I think of that?" when they some new idea.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]Wow...this could void ALL of iCrapple's patents!!! When can we start!!![/citation]
An article that doesn't even involve Apple yet some loser tries to bring them into the argument anyway. And even using the term "iCrapple" with the properly capitalized C. What are you, 12?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Sorry, you're wrong. There are countless patents for hammers and light bulbs. If you invent a better hammer, you're allowed to patent it, as long as it's different from existing hammers.Another complaint people try to use to invalidate a patent is saying it's obvious. Obvious to who? All good ideas are obvious AFTER you've seen it. That's why people go "why didn't I think of that?" when they some new idea.[/citation]

On the flip side, how do you identify innovation for software or hardware? What do you do when companies (such as Rambus) sit on their patents for more than a decade and never attempt to use it other than setting up a minefield for other companies? What do you do if someone patented your design, YEARS after you were the first one to build it, and got sued?

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

LMAO...what are you, the forum police?

iCrapple (see what I did there...????) has 1,000's of patents for things that DID already exist before they even filed, but yet those patents were approved anyway (we really need to check the approver's house to see how much new stuff he has from them). This would be a way to void those (yes) CLEARLY obvious "ideas", and already in-use tech.

Patents are supposed to be used for something that doesn't already exist so the creator/inventor can reap the reward for invention. Not used for something that's already in use - JUST to prevent others from using it.

It DOES relate to the story.

baconeater

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
[citation][nom]murzar[/nom]In that case, the millions of iPhone 5 users should also sue Apple.[/citation]

Apple is not even mentioned in this article, and I was just waiting for the first anti-apple message in the comments. Congrats

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Apparently Samsung is now big enough to start suing competitors. Even though Apple gets the most publicity these types of litigation is very common...sue me and I will find something to sue you in return. Then hope for a truce...lol.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]An article that doesn't even involve Apple yet some loser tries to bring them into the argument anyway. And even using the term "iCrapple" with the properly capitalized C. What are you, 12?[/citation]

iHaters are a trolling bunch. It has become a running joke within TH, no harm done :)

baconeater

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]iHaters are a trolling bunch. It has become a running joke within TH, no harm done[/citation]

I don't think it's a joke. I think people are really cursing at their computer screens about how much they hate apple. It's sickening.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]baconeater[/nom]I don't think it's a joke. I think people are really cursing at their computer screens about how much they hate apple. It's sickening.[/citation]

Then its truly sad. Apple is a great American company and they have a right to hate on Apple if they must. Personally I prefer to buy from American company than always from foreign companies since that was a trend during the 80s-90s. Glad to see USA firmly back in the consumer electronics industry!!!

frank_drebin

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
it should be decided by the way of the sword. Each company will have a champion, and the champions will fight in the arena. Whoever wins -> owns the loser's patents

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]If I do recall, IBM has a patent on a process of filing for a patent.The entire patent system is a sick joke for the software/hardware business.[/citation]
IBM filed for the patent. They haven't actually received it yet.

stoogie

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Then its truly sad. Apple is a great American company and they have a right to hate on Apple if they must. Personally I prefer to buy from American company than always from foreign companies since that was a trend during the 80s-90s. Glad to see USA firmly back in the consumer electronics industry!!![/citation]
apple doesnt make anything in the usa, so u fail there

Status
Not open for further replies.