Review Samsung T5 Evo (8TB) Portable SSD Review: Spacious but Slow

NatalieEGH

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2012
The price is way overblown. I just purchased 64TB for only about $225 dollars, including the tax, more than this SSD. Yes, they are HDD and most definitely not shock resistant but they also can be overwritten more times than SSDs without problems.

I am not sure what I would use these for. I believe a current thumb drive using USB 3.2 has about those speeds and they come in densities up to 2TB each. Yes the systems being connected to would have to have a USB 3.2 connection to get those speeds but likewise the system using the T5 would have to have a USB Type-C connection.

The author indicates this targeted to consumers that may have older hardware so a USB 3.2 I suspect will be more common than a USB Type-C.

Further for transporting data from one system to another, while having a 8TB may be desirable, that assumes both the originating system and the destination system have 8TB of storage.

One of the reasons I have not "replaced" my current case and system is the lack of more than just one or two expansion slots on the motherboard outside of a server motherboard and LACK of HDD cages in almost all current consumer computer chassis. That rather limits the amount of data the average consumer CAN have on their system to 2-4 NVMe m.2 cards. I know those are growing in size but so much that a consumer would be needing to transfer 8TB???