Samsung Unveils New Windows 8 Touch-Screen Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Imagine a person reading an online newspaper, while eating fried greasy pork sandwich and then touching the screen to move to the next page/article.. Samsung could integrated a self cleaning mechanism for the screen, maybe use a self-cleaning oven as an example?

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
In the past the kitchen sponge was the most germ laden piece in a household.
Soon to be replaced by your high tech monitor :)

And how close do you have to sit to a 27" monitor to use the 'touch' features ergonomically ?

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
There's some really stupid posts on here. Have you seen most users screens out there? They don't 'touch' the screen yet they're STILL covered in all manner of crap including excessive dust, ball point pen, scissor marks etc.

Maybe one day negative posters will just stop.

G

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]1080p on 27" and you have to sit close enough to it to touch it?Fail[/citation]

No screen bezels in my peripheral vision then :p

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
It's hard to fathom just how uncomfortable using a touchscreen monitor whilst sat down at a desk would be. If you can easily touch your monitor from where you are sat, you're too close to it.

G

Sasmung where are your 30" 2560 x 1600 led screens at?? 27 inches is just half-assing it.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
yeaa.. touchscreen on big monitor is unrealistic.

1. you would watch that screen from distance. (bigger the screen, more distance to operate)
2. you would use remote to operate the screen.

touch only applicable on small screens, where your hand doesnt travel too much to cover the screen, and the screen is close enough to grab.

LEXX911

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
The only thing that this is good for is to draw on and maybe letting the kids play some games with touch able. But other than that totally useless and tiresome reaching the screen with normal daily usage.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]There's some really stupid posts on here. Have you seen most users screens out there? They don't 'touch' the screen yet they're STILL covered in all manner of crap including excessive dust, ball point pen, scissor marks etc.Maybe one day negative posters will just stop.[/citation]

I for one, keep all my displays clean as the day they came out of the box. It bugs the HELL out of me to see any crap on the screen (god forbid an actual scratch!) But admittedly, I'm a pixel snob.

All I want is for retina resolution 27-32" monitors to come out, and come down in price to the sub $1000 range. Ultra thin bezels would be a nice plus, but really I just want the same kind of print-like visuals that I get on my phone available on my desktop.

Touch on a big screen is a joke. For larger screens it would be far more useful to have something like kinnect, or leapmotion. Even wacom, or smartglass interface would be better than touching a screen that is intended to set out of arms reach.

[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]There's some really stupid posts on here. Have you seen most users screens out there? They don't 'touch' the screen yet they're STILL covered in all manner of crap including excessive dust, ball point pen, scissor marks etc.Maybe one day negative posters will just stop.[/citation]
most users are not paying a premium for a high quality, high resolution display either. The market for desktop touch screens will always be limited to the lower end of the market.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]IMHO, this screams ergonomic issues.[/citation]
It wouldn't be so bad but it would be a very non-conventional desk setup... the screen would need to be at a ~45deg angle almost directly behind your keyboard. If you are typing, you roll your chair back so your hands are over the keyboard and when you go touch more than a few quick touches, you roll the chair forward so your hands can more easily reach the screen.

The angle might be a pain in the neck for extended reading so a conventional display would likely be required for extended reading and non-touch work... or mount the touch display on an arm so it can be moved between the 2-3 positions without much hassle.

Ergonomic arrangements are possible but may get a complicated.

wlachan

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Great! Now I must sit less than 2fts away from my 27" monitor because my arm can only extend so far. THANK YOU VERY MUCH WINDOWS 8!!!

Pgooch

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
I think it would be awesome just get a desk cut out a hole in the top of it and mount the monitor in the desk so its flush with the desk.

Red_one

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Based on Apple's definition of "Retina" I bet my 720p TV at 16 feet away is better than these lol.

For desktops we should be seeing much better resolutions if they are able to pack 1080p in the 11.6 inch acer or of course the ipad resolution which is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS