Samsung Withdraws Apple Ban Request in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
I think Samsung made the right decision here, they don't want ruin their public image by seeming to be sue happy like Crapple. I rather see innovation/competition in the marketplace than to feed those vulture lawyers.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Seriously? Goog guy Samsung?

Does everyone forget the EU has a formal antitrust investigation going on against Samsung that specifically relates to Samsung seeking injunctions using FRAND patents? And suddenly Samsung drops all injunctions over those same FRAND patents. And people think it's because Samsung is being "nice"?

This is nothing more than Samsung backing off as they were about to get the smackdown from the EU similar to how MS had in the past.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Seriously? Goog guy Samsung?Does everyone forget the EU has a formal antitrust investigation going on against Samsung that specifically relates to Samsung seeking injunctions using FRAND patents? And suddenly Samsung drops all injunctions over those same FRAND patents. And people think it's because Samsung is being "nice"?This is nothing more than Samsung backing off as they were about to get the smackdown from the EU similar to how MS had in the past.[/citation]
That's exactly what I was thinking. They're just trying to avoid cases they'll obviously lose. Granted, I'm sure the US court decision did play a role in their decision to drop the request in Europe... but most likely they're just avoiding cases they'll likely lose and save themselves money in the process.

Plus Samsung still is suing Apple in Europe... that didn't disappear. They just dropped the request to have the devices banned. Lawsuit is still active. The Apple v. Samsung saga continues!
:bounce:

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Hit the fanboys with facts and you get thumbed down. Typical.. They were going to lose just like they did for their bid for a new trial. Since Samsung wasn't smart like HTC to enter into a licensing agreement Apple is going to keep taking them to cleaners a billion at a time.[/citation]
You know.. Crazy people think they are sane and every one else is crazy... so take a look in the mirror before pointing your Apple sauce fingers at anyone who disagrees with you... In the end, Apple makes it so easy for any other company to take the higher road...

G

otacon72 12/19/2012 5:11 AM
Hide
--2+

ericburnby :
Seriously? Goog guy Samsung?Does everyone forget the EU has a formal antitrust investigation going on against Samsung that specifically relates to Samsung seeking injunctions using FRAND patents? And suddenly Samsung drops all injunctions over those same FRAND patents. And people think it's because Samsung is being "nice"?This is nothing more than Samsung backing off as they were about to get the smackdown from the EU similar to how MS had in the past.

Hit the fanboys with facts and you get thumbed down. Typical.. They were going to lose just like they did for their bid for a new trial. Since Samsung wasn't smart like HTC to enter into a licensing agreement Apple is going to keep taking them to cleaners a billion at a time.

1) Why would ANY company sign any agreements with Apple? Most apple patents are stolen from prior art or other companies. You do not negotiate with thieves.
2) The billion will not stand because most patents apple won with in the court case were in validated.
3) You and eric are the two dumbest most hateful tech posters I have seen on any tech site. You sound like ill-informed apple h.i.c.k.s!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Considering Samsung have an EU antitrust suit due to Crt monitor price along with the old Dram one. I don't see Samsung as a good player, they have a history of illegal actions that hurt the consumers. However compared to the rotten apple they at least understand that litigation is not the best way to compete!

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]Good guy Samsung.[/citation]
Sorry, but NO !!!
Apple guys have proved they are bad players over and over, but Samsung is by no mean a better company. Samsung is very good at keeping prices artificially high (the CRT Cartel is just one thing, but there are probably more) and many of their products lineups are imitations of (often obsolete) competitor products (their color printers are the perfect example).

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
sometimes the only way to silence two quarrelling brats is to remind both that mom or dad is willing to use the big stick if required.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I am appalled at how people are thumbing down those who correctly pointed out that Samsung isn't doing this out of the goodness of its heart.

Apple may be the devil's work, but the sun doesn't shine out of Samsung's ass either. Try not to censor people just because their input is at odds with your worldview. It's that kind of blatant disregard for common sense and reason which leads to this patent-war crap in the first place.

I agree with aznguy0028 though - this will only help bolster Samsung's already positive public image (as evidenced by those who will rampantly defend them). I do wish they could've avoided the antitrust bigwigs long enough to screw Apple a little more with their patents, though. I get that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones but it just doesn't feel like Samsung has had its revenge yet.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]dthx[/nom]Sorry, but NO !!!Apple guys have proved they are bad players over and over, but Samsung is by no mean a better company. Samsung is very good at keeping prices artificially high (the CRT Cartel is just one thing, but there are probably more) and many of their products lineups are imitations of (often obsolete) competitor products (their color printers are the perfect example).[/citation]
Samsung is good at keeping prices artificially high? Look at every single Apple product and say that again.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]Samsung is good at keeping prices artificially high? Look at every single Apple product and say that again.[/citation]

You don't understand how bad Korean firms are when it comes to patent infringement, industrial sabotage etc. I don't like Apple, but I would rather see Samsung get busted.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]Samsung is good at keeping prices artificially high? Look at every single Apple product and say that again.[/citation]
I can say it again and again... There are many other companies than Samsung or Apple who provide hardware at very good prices ... but probably more because they feel like they have to lower their price if they want to sell units and gain some market share rather than to please us.
Please stop seeing this as an Apple vs Samsung war and understand that Samsung is not here to save us from the evil Apple. Like every company, Samsung has to make money. The bad thing with them is that they are notorious for their borderline business practices and not offering lots of value for the money. As a consumer, I avoid Samsung as much as I avoid Apple products.

Status
Not open for further replies.