Samsung Working On 60 GHz Wi-Fi Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgingeri

Distinguished
That's in the microwave/radar frequency range. I know people who get headaches being in the room with an operating microwave oven. I see this giving people issues, if not even creating health issues for users. I'll say no thanks for this one until it is thoroughly tested for at least a couple years.

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
That's in the microwave/radar frequency range. I know people who get headaches being in the room with an operating microwave oven. I see this giving people issues, if not even creating health issues for users. I'll say no thanks for this one until it is thoroughly tested for at least a couple years.

Consumer Microwave ovens operate on the 2.4 GHz band (reason why some G routers had signal loss while one was running) while commercial grade operates on lower frequencies (1 GHz and lower specifically). 60 GHz is way outside of the microwave oven spectrum.

It's 802.11ad and Samsung didn't invent it. The standard is intended to replace HDMI and similar cables within a room.

Look up WiGig. Samsung may not have been the sole inventor of it, but they are one of the commanding forces in 802.11ad technology.

So would a sheet of paper be enough to block the signal? 5Ghz already suffers in range when compared to 2.4Ghz.

I've also never experienced wireless that comes close to the promised transfer rates. Even in the best of conditions (single large file, very close range, SSD to SSD, and Wifi to Gigabit Ethernet). While Gigabit Ethernet gets really close.

ldun

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
I'm wondering how fun this would be to implement in P2P scenarios... as an aside is 60GHz a licensed band?

Status
Not open for further replies.