Samsung's Exynos 5 Octa 8-Core Mobile Processor Detailed

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Surely they must have a reason for an octo-core, or did something got miscommunicated between Samsung and the media (or Zak), or did the engineers and management though a decade too far ahead of time?

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Surely they must have a reason for an octo-core, or did something got miscommunicated between Samsung and the media (or Zak), or did the engineers and management though a decade too far ahead of time?[/citation]
It's Zak, and marketing. Just read the original article, it's more informative and less misleading:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6654/samsungs-exynos-5-octa-powered-by-powervr-sgx-544mp3-not-arms-mali

It's a 4+4 design, 4 Cortex A15's and 4 Cortex A7's.

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I guess Samsung skip the 6-cores and went straight to 8. I wonder how good is the battery life with these sucker on the next android phones

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I recall seeing a picture of a 100-core mobile processor. However, almost all of it was devoted to non-standard computing tasks. Some were meant to decode videos, others to decode audio, additional ones to do the graphic workload, and etc.

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Honestly, I have love the Exynos SoC's since my Galaxy S II and right now I'm LOVING the GN2 with it's butter smooth all day performance. I can't f-ing wait to get my hands on this shiz..

glenricky

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Why they have to put four cores for power saving? I think just using two cores is enough and better power saving for doing basic task IMO

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
According to AnandTech, the chip, which is the world's first mobile processor to sport eight cores, will utilize a PowerVR SGX 544MP3 GPU running at 533Mhz. Comparatively, Apple's A5X chip found in the iPad 3 houses a less-powerful GPU based on the PowerVR SGX 543MP4.

Read the article you linked to, you idiot. He clearly says its a 4+4 SoC.
But 8 > 4+4, right ?

baka187

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
how about a VIA Nano quad/octa core 64bit x86 cpu made on TSMC's 22nm process with a next gen crome grafix core with 256mb ddr and 4gb ram and 128gb's raided slc flash and an ips screen ,running 2 or more mobile os's or win 7 in a phone /tablet form factor, Intel may shi77 brixx :)

Via please kickstart this now i need a new dev phone for playing D3

Lekko

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
I don't understand why they went with 4+4 rather than 2+4. I think a low-power dual core would make more sense in terms of die real estate. I can't think of a situation that would require 3-4 cores of power while remaining in the lower power state. As soon as you need that 3rd core or 4th, you're probably doing something intensive, so it would switch to the high power quad anyway.

baka187

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
[citation][nom]Lekko[/nom]I don't understand why they went with 4+4 rather than 2+4. I think a low-power dual core would make more sense in terms of die real estate. I can't think of a situation that would require 3-4 cores of power while remaining in the lower power state. As soon as you need that 3rd core or 4th, you're probably doing something intensive, so it would switch to the high power quad anyway.[/citation]

more cash would rock .i think of above like set affinity in win nt so that individual or groups of programs run solely on low powrer cores or back grounding tasks to a core

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Lekko[/nom]I don't understand why they went with 4+4 rather than 2+4. I think a low-power dual core would make more sense in terms of die real estate. I can't think of a situation that would require 3-4 cores of power while remaining in the lower power state. As soon as you need that 3rd core or 4th, you're probably doing something intensive, so it would switch to the high power quad anyway.[/citation]

It would seem so but that would probably be extremely difficult to design as the A7 and A15 cores are built together in a module called big.LITTLE, so until ARM releases libraries that accommodate switching tasks to different core architectures we won't see those. Right now the only way to make such a set-up would be to have a 2 module big.LITTLE for 2+2, and a dual core A15 on the side of that. Personally I believe that a tri-module big.LITTLE for 3+3 would be the optimum given todays computing requirements but building hi-end phones isn't so much about optimizing from an engineering stand point as it is about bragging rights of the marketing departments.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]It's Zak, and marketing. Just read the original article, it's more informative and less misleading:http://www.anandtech.com/show/6654 [...] -arms-maliIt's a 4+4 design, 4 Cortex A15's and 4 Cortex A7's.[/citation]
So 4 + 4 doesn't equal 8, my maths must be SHOCKINGLY bad

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]it is a stupid flawed design, if u are full load u can only use 4 cores instead of 8 cores.[/citation]
It's not a flawed design. It's by design. There are 4 high-power cores and 4 low-power cores. If you're playing a game or running apps that need the horsepower the 4 high-power cores kick on and take over. If you're checking e-mail or texting or on the phone you don't need that horsepower anymore so the 4 low-power cores take over and you save battery life. It's an interesting variation on something like Intel's SpeedStep. Power when you need it, battery life when you don't.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]it is a stupid flawed design, if u are full load u can only use 4 cores instead of 8 cores.[/citation]

What gave you that idea? The low power A7 cores can run simultaneously with the high power A15 cores. It depends on set up and load if they actually will be on simultaneously. Keep in mind that every core, high or low powered, can be shut down individually depending on usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.