Samsung's SSD Global Summit: The Leader In NAND Speaks Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So, is NVMe complimentary to (the new) SATA 3.2 or it's simply playing its own fiddle?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Well, i have 2.3 TB of writes and 4.36 TB of reads on my 120GB Intel 320 series SSD in the last year...no re-allocated sectors thus far.

My 840 has about 0.41TB written to it, and i bought this drive a few months ago.

Anyway, looking forward to RAPID.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Ahh Samsung, you're still not immune to the age old marketting technique of combining large breasted women with your technology, to catch men's eyes.

Organizations with huge amounts of data to sift (e.g. Google, NSA, IRS) will want any speed they can get. Labs doing FCAT testing need ridiculous write speeds. For the rest of us, as individuals, if a bloated application like Word already loads in the blink of an eye, any faster simply doesn't matter. I hope a substantial focus can be placed on cost.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
CPUs GPUs are sort of slowing. this is the future. This is innovation at its hottest and fastest. Maybe it is competition as some say, as AMD is bogged down in processors, giving the leaders a healthy lead, but in flash, Samsung, Sandisk/Toshiba, and Micron are hot at it.

Everyone wins.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
radiovan and Someone

NVMe is a protocol to work with PCIe. This is quite clear from the slides. What is PCIe? Do you remember your last video card upgrade? The slot your card plugged into was most likely a PCIe slot. NVMe has no business with SATA, and that's the way you want it to be.

drewriley

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Last year, Samsung touched on some new technologies that they were working on, but didn't share any insight during their latest summit,

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
180 BILLION! in revenue , Wonder if they pay their employees mcdonals salary and rake in the cash for the ceos' Koreans are taking over , they have surpassed the japanese.

G

...SATA 3.2 (SATA Express) uses PCIe lanes (2x PCIe 3.0) to provide faster communication between the CPU and the storage media, hence reducing the bottleneck. I understand NVMe is an independent tech from SATA 3.2 (notice that ".2" behind the 3).

*** Edited by Moderator ***

drewriley

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

That's a solid question and one that isn't always easy to answer. There are so many new interfaces and protocols, it's hard to keep them all straight. To answer your question, SATA 3.2 now includes SATA Express. SATA Express is a standard that defines two driver interfaces and two physical interfaces. You can connect via legacy SATA or PCIe. For SATA, you will use the AHCI interface. In this way, it will work just like every other SATA SSD that is on the market. For PCIe, the driver interface is either AHCI or NVMe. With AHCI, you still see a PCIe device dangling off of the PCIe root port and you use the same AHCI drivers that comes with your operating system of choice. With NVMe, you get all of the added benefits of the new protocol, but you will need OS driver support. All of that should *crosses fingers* be ironed out in the next year.

What makes things slightly confusing is that any of these combinations are valid, so you have to pay particular attention to whether your M.2 card is SATA or PCIe, and if it is PCIe, whether it is AHCI or NVMe. If you want more information, I recommended looking at the SATAIO page, they have a lot of good information. https://www.sata-io.org/sata-express

Heavensrevenge

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
RAPID is currently only enabled in Windows, but will be available for all 840-series drives once Samsung's Magician 4.2 software is released.

My 840 Pro 256GB doesn't allow for RAPID even while using Samsung Magician 4.2 :(
It passes the Genuine Validation check and everything so I don't think this is true, or I'm an unlucky bloke.
Does anyone have an answer as to why this is?

Heavensrevenge

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013

This should be able to clarify :)

so4aNyY.png

OmX6jat.png

Any ideas fellas?

G

Thank you for addressing my query.

cryan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

There is a note on the Samsung Magician download page ATM:

* Notice : Official release of Magician 4.2 will be tentatively postponed until late August in order to ensure compatibility with all devices.

My early release of 4.2 didn't support the 840 Pro, and I seemed to recall Samsung saying that the 840 Pro would get a FW upgrade that would let it use RAPID (but don't quote me on this). Or, it's just that they couldn't work out the kinks, and you'll have to wait until later this month for a fixed version.

I know RAPID doesn't work on my 840 Pros with the 4.2 Beta that I used in the EVO review.

Regards,
Christopher Ryan

Heavensrevenge

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013

Isn't that something... my magician actually got notified and auto-updated lol, I don't have an EVO since RAPID would probably work if I did, and the download page DID have 4.2 on there a few days ago so it I guess they reverted their decision to offer 4.2 to download.
I did know that reviews stated their 840 Pro's weren't detected in 4.2 to allow enabling RAPID but since it was an auto-update, I was under suspicion it was a minor version updated vs the 4.2 software included in the EVO packaging which allowed enabling of RAPID from being an official update for me.
Ill give a screeny & checksum of my magician installer in-case anyone want to see vs theirs since I don't think this is 4.2 Beta. And if anyone wants I can upload it for others to download.

bbSFJ60.png

Guess I'll need to wait for Magician 4.2.1/4.3 or a FW update then.

Good to know I wasn't preventing it's ability to update, and that it's still incompatible at the moment.

Thank you for the verification :)

cryan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, it seems as though it was pulled. The version most reviewers were supplied with was basically just a 4.2 preview.

The 830 and 470 won't be getting any more FW updates, but the 840 lines should be getting new FW over the next couple weeks/months. I believe most 840 EVOs will be available on the 20th, so its possible that the new updated version of Magician will coincide with the launch -- though the early retail packaging I have included 4.1 on the software CD. I'd expect most retail 840 EVOs will have new firmware and a new Magician version to download.

It would be incredibly awesome if the 830 could get RAPID too, though.

Regards,
Christopher Ryan

Anyways with these new SSD's launching, one thing can be made sure. That is with newer and newer SSD's coming the prices of the SSD's are going to go just down in one direction which is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.