Samsung's Transparent OLED Laptop Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I can see uses for this technology but a laptop isn't one. Would be pretty cool to own one nonetheless considering how new the technology is.

tommyh

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
I like this! High "ohh shiny!" factor. Would be awesome if they somehow could make you able to adjust transperancy, then it'd be usefull in addition to cool. Huge TV-windows would be amazing I imagine!

anhxeom

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Transparent is cool and SciFi, but what will happen to the contrast ratio? That's like a glossy coated screen, you'll have a hard time focusing on an object on the screen!

G

I wonder if you drop it whether the screen will have the 'smashed' effect.

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
While this is a cool bit of tech, I don't really understand the point behind it. Not once have i been using a computer and thought "this screen is cool, but i'd really like to see the wall behind it at the same time" I could see it being useful in a pair of glasses doing the whole augmented reality thing.

G

Imagine a car or aircraft windshield or even a motorcycle helmet with navigation readouts or vision enhancements in low light or fog; this technology makes such things possible without relying on projection-type devices.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]railgun1369[/nom]Heh...guess it depends on how big that paycheck is.[/citation]
Yeah. =D
Make it 5 for me. >_<

[citation][nom]pangedit[/nom]I would like to see this on car windows and such, but not on computer monitors.[/citation]
A HUD on a car would be awesome. Automatically outline were all cops and photo radars are. >=)
I want 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 resolution on this though.

It's cool, and I'd buy a gen 2-3 if I could afford it (needs some work still).

G

My Prediction: 6 years after this first transparent display is released, Apple will release a transparent display.
Apple zealots will claim tha Apple invented it.

tommyh

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
I guess an application could be that you would close the display (on the laptop) and use the other side as a touch screen similar to a tabled. As you could make it quite drak beneath, you could get some contrast atleast. Would make sence if they made such a concept!

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
it is awesome. now i can watch videos on my laptop without having to rotate the laptop around. :D add multi-touch and make it a slate and you got yourself a winner!

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Don't see the use or desire to have this on a laptop or monitor. It's a solution without a problem. I've never once found myself in a situation where I needed to see directly through my screen. Don't get me wrong the tech is great and there is definitely places where this transparent screen could work and be awe inspiring but on my laptop is not one of them.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
This technology harkens back all the way to the first Star Wars movie for me. Whenever you saw a transparent static or moving display in a base or space ship. I can see this being a big thing for the military on a scale of that Panasonic 152" 3D plasma for mission planning and real-time awareness of missions, or remote sensing applications. Having people on both sides of the display all looking at the content, yes some people would be backwards but so what, it's amazing.

G

As it was presented today and with comps in mind.
Other than kiddie cool....what's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.