SanDisk 16GB Micro SD HC crapped out on me, is there still a chance to recover to transfer?

RepoDraghon

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
I need to know, I have important stuff on it.

Is a place like Geek Squad or some other PC place going to have a good recovery chance? I can get another card, just need my data..... This card was used for my phone, a Galaxy S5

umm, I know it might be the phone frying the card, but ok, this is what happens when I insert the card to my PC directly. "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (G: )."

Solution
I see. Well, it's really good news that it's at least recognized. You could go ahead and try out the suggestions from the thread, first. Since it does not seem like the flash drive has failed completely, you could also give it a go with Ubuntu Live USB/DVD (if the problem is that the partition is not properly recognized), to see if it recognizes the flash drive properly and if you're able to access its content to recover it. This is basically a bootable, portable, freeware version of Linux.

Please keep me posted on your progress. Fingers crossed!
Hey there, RepoDraghon.

If the card is recognized by the computer you might want to try some data recovery options such as the ones offered in this thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1644496/lost-data-recovery.html and that article: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-programs.htm, to see if you'll have any luck with the recovery process. However, if it's not recognized at all, you could try a professional solution, but I'd recommend that you go for a data recovery company instead of a regular computer service shop, as chances are not that big either way. :(

One piece of advice - never keep important data on an SD card or a USB flash drive if you don't have a backup copy of it, somewhere else. Those storage devices are pretty unreliable when it comes to preserving the important information.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Boogieman_WD

RepoDraghon

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
Yeah, just updated... it recognizes it to a point, but thinks it's an empty drive or something...

well, important as in movies, pics, and the stored programs I have on my phone that can be stored on the card...

I see. Well, it's really good news that it's at least recognized. You could go ahead and try out the suggestions from the thread, first. Since it does not seem like the flash drive has failed completely, you could also give it a go with Ubuntu Live USB/DVD (if the problem is that the partition is not properly recognized), to see if it recognizes the flash drive properly and if you're able to access its content to recover it. This is basically a bootable, portable, freeware version of Linux.

Please keep me posted on your progress. Fingers crossed!

Solution