SanDisk Develops World’s Smallest 128Gb NAND Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
128GB SD cards and 64GB micro-SD cards? Yes please. 'Course, I'm sure this stuff will be expensive for the near future...

Actually, I already see a 64GB Sandisk micro-SD card on Newegg... for $130. It's out-of-stock, though.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I seriously thought it was 128 GB, and after looking at the article closely, it's Gb. 128 Gb is 16 GB.

Unless if it was a misprint. Or if I'm going insane.

demonicrotato

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I seriously thought it was 128 GB, and after looking at the article closely, it's Gb. 128 Gb is 16 GB.Unless if it was a misprint. Or if I'm going insane.[/citation]

As far as I know you are not going insane. The article that is linked specifically says gigabit rather than gigabyte.

Just a nickname

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/sandisk-19nm-128gb-flash-memory-chip-is-worlds-smallest-20120222/

Look how small it is!
I think the picture induce us in error. I don't think this is going to be used in SSD. More likely going to be used for microsd/sdhc

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i dont know if this posted, so this may be a triple, sorry if thats the case. this time i'm removing all the math i did. this is the last post, if it doesn't show up this time, ill write it off as i for a sanction and just haven't been told yet.

i just did the math,

so with that math, and its rough math, i have estimated the cost per gb to be .93 cents

now if only i could get this on ssd quality memory, would love to find out how much we are being screwed if we are at all.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]aidynphoenix[/nom]its too slow for ssd.[/citation]
SSDs tend to use multiple flash ICs in multi-channel to boost the speed. And each flash IC can contain 4 or even more of these chips. If you do the math, that can still come out to around 570MB/s theoretical speeds with just 8 ICs.

shriganesh

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
NAND chip capacity are mentioned in gigabits just like RAM/VRAM. Chips like these will be packaged with controller to get a SSD or pendrive. Since it's a 3-bit NAND, write speeds will be slow and write amplification will go through the roof. IMO these chips will be only used in pen drives and memory cards.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Okay, what exactly am I missing here? I have a 16GB MicroSD card in my Droid X. When I take it out, the thick part of the chip (which houses the actual silicon) looks smaller than this chips stated size of 170mm2 (or roughly 13 x 13 mm, or one half-inch square). I'm sorry, but 16GB stored in a half-inch? Don't we already have this?

And if it IS for SSD, then why haven't they been using existing MicroSD technology to populate multi-channel SSD lanes already? SOMEBODY EXPLAIN WHICH PART OF THIS IS NEW AND EXCITING!!!

[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Holy Cow... 128gbs... on that? Awesome.[/citation]
?? 128 Gbit/chip. 18 MByte/sec. Either you misread it, or 18 MB/s equals 128 gbit/sec, or I missed a conversion factor having to do with the number of chips used in an SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS