SanDisk Intros 32GB ReadyCache Upgrade for Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozvip3r

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
C'mon Toms, stop adding to the confusion by calling it a 6gb sata cable. Aren't you meant to inform your readers, not support the lie that is 6gb sata cables. A sata cable is a sata cable, what decides if a sataII or sataIII device runs at those respective speeds is whether it is plugged into a sata 3 or 6gb motherboard connector. Stop supporting the lies and confusing people.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
So its exactly like the Crucial Adrenaline only smaller? I wish Tom's did a little more analysis in these articles instead of just posting the statement from SanDisk.

What it should say: "This product will compete with _____, _____, and _____. See our review of other products like this here. We occasionally update these reviews with new products like this"

michaelssw

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
In my experience, even with 9+ year old computers, the only thing that made them slow was lack of RAM and people installing everything and anything that shows up in a pop up window.

When I do ctl alt del:

My friends computer: 130+ processes
My Computer: 24 processes

G

ReadyCache supports Multiple Hard Drives: Unlike most SSD caching solutions, the SanDisk ReadyCache solution can pull data from multiple hard drives, enabling a consistent performance improvement when utilizing more than one hard drive!

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]ozvip3r[/nom]C'mon Toms, stop adding to the confusion by calling it a 6gb sata cable. Aren't you meant to inform your readers, not support the lie that is 6gb sata cables. A sata cable is a sata cable, what decides if a sataII or sataIII device runs at those respective speeds is whether it is plugged into a sata 3 or 6gb motherboard connector. Stop supporting the lies and confusing people.[/citation]

This article is from Kevin Parrish, what did you expect?

As for this device, Cool... I guess.

The software makes it nifty but why would you pay so much for such little storage when installing an OS plus games on a SSD isn't really a hassle.

Shike

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
"The software makes it nifty but why would you pay so much for such little storage when installing an OS plus games on a SSD isn't really a hassle."

When you have 300GB worth the games, yes, yes it is a hassle. Not having to waste time and let caching software handle the crappy management aspect is A-OK to me.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]ozvip3r[/nom]C'mon Toms, stop adding to the confusion by calling it a 6gb sata cable. Aren't you meant to inform your readers, not support the lie that is 6gb sata cables. A sata cable is a sata cable, what decides if a sataII or sataIII device runs at those respective speeds is whether it is plugged into a sata 3 or 6gb motherboard connector. Stop supporting the lies and confusing people.[/citation]
Ok I will feed the Troll, because I like to correct them. You are incorrectly representing information. Before calling the Tom's writers out, you should probably know what your talking about first..

SATA Revision 3.0 is backward compatible so that the same
connectors and cabling used for SATA 3 Gb/s under SATA Revision 2.6 can be used for
SATA 6Gb/s.
See where it states revision 2.6? No mention of backwards compatibility to SATA, or even early SATA 2. There is much more info refuting your claims at the source links if you care to learn something.

http://sata-io.org/developers/technical_library.asp
http://sata-io.org/documents/SATA-6Gbs-Fast-Just-Got-Faster.pdf

If your drive and controller both say 6GB, the cable won't stop them. But when you actually go to sustain high data rates, the drive/board will have too many collisions for data correction, and usually lock the controller and BSOD your system.

Back on topic, this is too expensive to succeed. Sandisk should have tried to partner with a motherboard vendor, and ship with compatible motherboards to cut down distribution costs and offered this at closer to $30.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]michaelssw[/nom]In my experience, even with 9+ year old computers, the only thing that made them slow was lack of RAM and people installing everything and anything that shows up in a pop up window.When I do ctl alt del:My friends computer: 130+ processesMy Computer: 24 processes[/citation]

Yup just made an old 10year old computer usable in about 5minutes a couple weeks ago. Went into MSConfig and started unselecting just about everything to make only the bare minmium startup (antivirus/firewall and a few others) when the computer boots up. Went from a "were going to buy a new computer soon this is too slow and we only use it to print stuff now" to what I can consider usable and I have high standards. Didn't even bother defraging it or anything, I was on my way out the door when they asked if I could look at it.

Tinytacohead

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
While I've not had a chance to test this yet, I REALLY don't understand why people are confusing it/thinking the purchase of a similarly sized SSD is as simple a solution. Migrating a highly tweaked OS over to a new SSD can be a real pain. (without cloning etc) If this works, you don't have to worry about SSD size, moving/fitting files on it etc, nor do you have to pay the current high price of large SSD's if you wanted to move ALL files to one. Whether it works is remained to be seen for me though, and when I clicked this link I was expecting Tom's to have actually tested/reviewed it, functionally, heh.

G

There are a couple of positive reviews up on the Amazon site (4 out of 5 stars) which seem to indicate this thing works as advertised. For $50 and a relatively easy install process I went ahead and purchased. It is hardware so if it doesn't work I can send it back but it seems like a good way to breath some life into my 2+ year old Dell XPS.

Tinytacohead

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet, thanks for the info Schoon. I JUST ordered a USB hard drive to use for overflow/backup thismorning & kicked myself hard for not pulling the trigger on one of these too.. oh well, hopefully NewEgg's got free shipping on them, in which case I'll just make another order shortly! :D

Tinytacohead

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
(sorry for the double post, but I don't see a way to edit previous ones..) Update, The Egg does have free shipping, (slow style that is), and there're two ratings on it currently, both short, but 5 star. I definitely don't have a slouch of a system, but was too cheap to pull the trigger on a real SSD yet & wouldn't mind some faster loads, not to mention possibly boost the abysmal HD score winblows gives for my 64mb cache, sata6 Caviar black - ordering momentarily!!

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Got one from the egg for $49.99 w/free shipping. Ordered on Friday. Showed up Tuesday. PDQ for free shipping. It does exactly what it says it does. I have 4TB worth of storage in my system. 3TB of which is used with files I can't replace. Trying to convert all of that to SSD would cost way too much. This Cache solution is a perfect option to speed up my system and it does just that. Install was simple, plug it in, install and activate software, done. I cant say for sure that it gettings the system up to SSD speeds (I don't have an SSD), but it does make a major difference in boot time, and app loading time. The win7 only support is odd, but I'm hoping software updates will come out after 8 hits the market. I never buy a new OS when it first comes out anyway, I'm a Win ME survivor..... Never again. :p

Tinytacohead

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
[citation][nom]morbious81[/nom]Got one from the egg for $49.99 w/free shipping...[/citation] Me too, though I was inpatient & added a whole $2.99 on for 3d shipping, lol. (took 2) Was worth it though, as both my aforementioned USB drive and Readycache showed up on same day/before weekend! Having a slight issue with mine, (doesn't want to stay activated after sys reboot, which auto turns caching off). Contacted Sandisk, awaiting reply.

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
, (doesn't want to stay activated after sys reboot, which auto turns caching off).

Had the same issue.
Here is the canned reply they sent me....

Thanks for emailing SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

We really apologize for the inconvienience caused to you, However when you reboot the system and once the system is rebooted if you to task manager and see under services , you will see the expresscache service and if the status of the express cache service shows running that means your readycache is activated,

Please refer to your My SanDisk at http://kb.sandisk.com anytime to see all of your incident history and product registration information. You can log in using your email address as your login and the password that you created.

Also, you can visit http://kb.sandisk.com, our online keyword searchable Knowledgebase, to easily find answers to your Technical Support and Customer Service questions for all of SanDisk's products. Simply enter your search terms and our Knowledgebase will search an extensive database of commonly asked questions as well as our online forums at http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/forums to provide you with the most complete answers possible.

Best regards,
Patt J.
SanDisk Technical Support

....... lots of help there. I'm going with there's a bug in the software and they don't think we can figure that out......

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Just got an update from SanDisk.......

Thanks for emailing SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

In addition, I would like to inform that if you see the Express cache service running in Task manager then you need not worry about anything as the software would be running fine in that case and this is just a known software bug which should be fixed soon with the next update.

Please refer to your My SanDisk at http://kb.sandisk.com anytime to see all of your incident history and product registration information. You can log in using your email address as your login and the password that you created.

Also, you can visit http://kb.sandisk.com, our online keyword searchable Knowledgebase, to easily find answers to your Technical Support and Customer Service questions for all of SanDisk's products. Simply enter your search terms and our Knowledgebase will search an extensive database of commonly asked questions as well as our online forums at http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/forums to provide you with the most complete answers possible.

Best regards,
Patt J.
SanDisk Technical Support

Called that one.

Tinytacohead

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Hmmmmm, that doesn't make me feel all warm & fuzzy inside morbious81, lol. Appreciated just the same though. My one reply was been completely coherent/proper grammar etc, but I've only had the one.. (crossing my fingers!) So you think you'll keep it & hold your breath, or get rid of it while still under Egg's warranty and keep an eye on them/possibly try again after they've got the initial kinks worked out?

Status
Not open for further replies.