SanDisk Makes SSD up to 100x Faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlacierFreeze

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
lamorpa - "They're going to deliver a 100X speedup, but it won't show up in benchmarks. Sounds like snake oil, don't it?"

Microstuttering doesn't show up on standard benchmarks. BF2 stuttering with only 1GB of RAM doesn't show up on benchmarks.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
It's EXTREEEEEME!11!!

Seriously, it's Extreme FFS. Oh FFS, it's Extreme!

Someone should be shot for choosing such a name.

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
I'm sick of this kind of new.
Tell me you've got 100 faster SSD when they write at 6000MB/s.

SSD = Same Shit every Day

G

I think the biggest news here is:
"ExtremeFFS incorporates a fully non-blocking architecture in which all of the NAND channels can behave independently, with some reading while others are writing and garbage collecting."

I would venture a guess that this is the TRUE source of the'100x' performance increase.

G

You can get the promise from a marketing department that it is 1000 fold faster now apparently...so long as you don't mind that it won't show up in bench marking

Area51

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
What happens to MTBF?
I think they are trying to get some P.R. before Intel drives Hit the Market.
By the way, How come you don't have the SLC and the MLC offering from Intel listed in the Flash SSD Charts yet?

joex444

Distinguished
Here's another poorly chosen acronym (though what could you reasonably do?) from Solid state physics, so it sort of applies. Weak Transverse Field. It is quite odd having your professor put this up on the board with a straight face...

efranchi

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
If it is, the SATA 2 and even the SATA 3 interface will be insufficient, and there will be only the PCI-E interface, like already used by some RAID combo (Raid card + cables + SSD in 2,5" SATA) who can already deliver 1250MB/s read 990MB/s write (with just 5pcs best SLC SATA 2,5 and the best RAID card) or some PCI-E raid card with "fusioned" on the card 80GB SLC (who deliver +/- 700/600 r/w sequential).
Maybe in 2-3 years the motherboards will not have only 2-3 PCI-E for graphics card, need 1 more PCI-E slot for SSD ;-)

G

I think they are saying that with extreme ffs, you will see a 100x improvement in random write IOPS (likely 4k block sizes) They are not saying 100x increase in throughput. If you look at all non-intel SSDs today, they all suck donkey when doing random writes ... they just fail. Intel's drives fly along as fast as 10,000 IOPS for random write in some IOMETER results I've seen. This is an attempt at Intel's competition to catch up IMHO. For this reason, SATA 2 will be sufficient for 2009 ... especially for the laptops these are going to be used in.

Status
Not open for further replies.