SanDisk Reveals World's Smallest SSD, the 'iSSD'

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I wonder if Apple will sue them for using "i". Either that, or it's a great marketing tactic for San Disk. "Hey Apple, I'll give you exclusive "iSSD" rights for your "i" products for i$$$$$$$$."

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
This is really neat. It would be cool if motherboard manufacturers would all start adding these to their boards so I could backup critical data or just use it as a boot drive

samely

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]why does everything have to start with "i" nowadays/???[/citation]
Because the world has become a proper grammar/spelling failure. And thank you to Apple for perpetuating it.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]captainnemojr[/nom]I wonder if Apple will sue them for using "i". Either that, or it's a great marketing tactic for San Disk. "Hey Apple, I'll give you exclusive "iSSD" rights for your "i" products for i$$$$$$$$."[/citation]
so does everything that start with "i" have to do with the fruit company now?

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]why does everything have to start with "i" nowadays/???[/citation]

Remember when everything started with an "e"? Ah, the good old days.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]gtvr[/nom]Remember when everything started with an "e"? Ah, the good old days.[/citation]

eWaste became a bad moniker. We have yet to start talking about iWaste, nobody wants to wear that one, even though we all make iWaste (even those of us who don't buy overpriced products from a company that tries to censor it's consumers).

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

iSee that you did not begin your post with an "i". You have been penalized for not following the rules and must sit out a minimum of 3 news articles before you can post again.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Apple uses 'i' because they seem to think it "sounds cool." San Disk is using the 'i' in their product for a more practical reason, denoting it as an integrated drive. It's like eSATA is an external version of the SATA drive connector.

Isn't it supposed to be "i" before "e".
Everthing use to be e this or e that now everything start with an i it's all backwards!

All joking aside, those are pretty good read and write speeds and up to 64GB huh? That's pretty big for something so small! I think it would be cool to have a 64GB USB 3.0 SSD the size of the flash drive.

G

As already said here, it would be GREAT if MoBos would come with such a drive on board, 64 GB would be enough for Win7 install (I think) and more than enough for Linux :)
So you only need to add SATA HD for the tons of musics and videos :)

urlsen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
Amd (or manufacturer "asus, sapphire ect..) should addopt this in the lineup of Liano apu itx motherbords.

Would be great for htpc who have storage in nas form..
No need for mooving part or any other parts for that matter.
Mobo,cpu,pico psu,ram n ur done..

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]captainnemojr[/nom]I wonder if Apple will sue them for using "i". Either that, or it's a great marketing tactic for San Disk. "Hey Apple, I'll give you exclusive "iSSD" rights for your "i" products for i$$$$$$$$."[/citation]

Hardly because usually it has been the other way around. Apple was sued due to the names of the iPhone and iPad.

Trashit

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
If anything it should be µSSD (as in micro SSD). We all know that the "i" in the apple products stand for "Idiot".

OT - Another step closer to seeing true tablet PCs and not just smart phones with larger screens. Stream media of a PC/NAS all the time is just no fun. I want my mobility and my media in one and 8gig is just a joke.

G

Kind of looks like they are just making a SDHC that can be soldered to the mainboard.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]miloo[/nom]4~64GB not impressive ~ just like a thumb drive ~ size[/citation]

Except faster, cheaper, and more compact...its tiny and fits on a motherboard. Integrated = a lot less cost.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]wildwell[/nom]So is it an SDHC card w/ a SATA data interface called a "drive?"[/citation]

Not exactly, since the read and write speeds are far faster than typical SD/SDHC flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.