Sandy Bridge Debacle: What It Means for You

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This isn't too big of deal (for me my brother at least) since we made a system using the SATA 3.0 port... I am guessing many other builders have as well.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Snipergod87[/nom]This debacle may cause some to switch over to AMD. It seems like Intel is handling the situation well at least.[/citation]

Why? You think people will hold off for Bulldozer processors, which don't even have a firm release date yet, and are going to have the same sort of "early adapter" risk as the new Intel chips had? Or that they'll decide to invest in last-gen AMD processors? Seems unlikely.

Right now, AMD doesn't have anything to satisfy people that want new tech as quickly as possible. While this could obviously hurt Intel, depending on how they handle this setback and without a real alternative to Sandy Bridge CPUs, it seems people would be just as likely (if not more so) to wait until Intel takes care of the issue as they would be to decide to wait and see if Bulldozer delivers.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Awww man this is kind of disheartening :(. I was just planning to upgrade my MOBO and throw down some money for DDR3 and a Sandy Bridge chip. Now I'm going to hold out until I start hearing news stories with "All Clear -- Purchase Purchase PURCHASE!"

It's hardware problems like this that can severely cripple a good product and even have people pass over, switch sides, or wait for the next generation CPU "Ivy Bridge" possible later this year.

Now I don't know what I should do, I guess wait it out and keep my eye out on the progress.

G

Im curious like hell, what kind of error would cause the chip set to eat itself alive, is this planned redundancy gone wrong? i figure this can't be a material degradation issue because, well if intel doesn't know the best material to use for a chip set then there's no hope for sandy bridge. It's even more interesting that this is a cumulative error, how is it possible to have a cumulative error??????

rwmunchkin12788

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I guess I'll have to wait on buying a new system. This really blows, as I was just about to order one anyway.

Is there any way around the problem for the current stock. As in, can someone still build a SB platform without ever running into this problem.. or just plugging in to a different port?

fxgranite

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Should I laugh or cry?

Just scrapped my 6 year old dinosaur for a new sandy bridge build on Friday. It's still in the mail:/

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
It only bugs 5% of chipsets! Stop freaking out. Buy if your ready. Performance degradation over time. It's not gonna blow up. And it's throuput performance at that. A cheap sata card will circumvent it if your one of the small %. NO BIG DEAL! Hell just buy a 6G/s (Sata 3) hard drive if your that worried.

Immoral Medic

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I'll still buy one in a couple months....."Sata 6 Gb/s ports are unaffected" which is what I use. So, yes it does suck for Sata 3 port users.

oatmeal25

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
[citation][nom]bearclaw99[/nom]So..can us Sandy Bridge owners just plug our SATA II devices into the SATA III ports until the recall starts?[/citation]
as far as I know that is the workaround. On Asus P8P67 boards the SATA 3 ports are white (aka gray).

Status
Not open for further replies.