Sandy bridge ivy bridge graphics

CrayolaViolence

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I am currently shopping for a new computer and am having a hard time figuring out what kind of graphics card I need. I do not game however I do run PS5 and corel painter and similar art programs. I do not have any (currently) 3D rendering programs and I do not anticipate any in the future. Mainly this computer will be used for artwork and writing. Of course internet as well.

So I am trying to figure out what would be best. An integrated video card such as one of these or installing one of the Nvidia cards.

Thanks so much.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
You should be fine with just the integrated gpu, it will boost your performance if you do decide to get a gpu, and I can pick some out for you if you let me know how much your willing to spend. One question, why are you choosing a sandy bridge?

CrayolaViolence

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Sandy bridge or ivy bridge either one. If you mean why am I choosing intel, I've just had really good luck with them so far. I've tried AMD in the past (several times) and have had them die at a drop of a hat. Even with a good cooling system they croaked.

Well what can I tell you

3570 uses the same intergrated graphics the 2600k/2500k uses. (Intel Graphics 3000)
The new ivy bridge k sku chips the 3570k and the 3770k chips both use intel 4000 graphics. Which will get the job done at least till you can get a dedicated card in which you are planning to do.

CrayolaViolence

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

Well, that's the thing. I don't want to get a video card unless I really need to. If the integrated graphics capabilities of the i5 will work then I'd just keep it like that. It's why I'm asking. I wasn't sure it would run well with painter and PS5. Right now I use PS5 on a macbook pro and it does great. It has an intel i5 in it. And I remember it has a Nividia GT 340.
I've read a lot of reviews from gamers on the integrated graphics but none from people who do art. The one art critique I saw with adobe light (I think that's the right name) said it worked great.

I could build my own machine, but to be honest I'm so tired of doing that. I'd rather just get one from Dell (or somewhere else) and have the insurance in case it has a heart attack and dies. They don't seem to offer anything above the bottom of the barrel card from Nvidia. At least on their website they don't. Or maybe I'm over looking it.

Another question: I have read in several places that the 1TB drives are not as stable as the 500GB. While I don't *need* a 1TB drive, Dell has it as the only option for many models. (so much for customize your machine). I am reluctant to risk *any* kind of data loss. I don't want something if it has more of a chance to crash. (And yes I use off site daily back up as well as in house back up)

If I stick with the integrated video card I could actually consider one of the all in ones. While I know having the monitor die risks losing the whole machine I've noticed several of them with high specs. I could use the space as I am in a small apartment but I was curious as to how stable they are. I don't change things around when I get a computer. The one I have now is heading on 6 years I think? Maybe 5 years. I can't remember. But I was curious to know if they are really that stable and whether or not they are worth the money.

And of course there is the mac option (I hear the boos and hisses now). The main thing keeping me away from a mac is data transfer from my PC to the Mac. That and I'd have to get an emulator to run Word. Mac has great prepackaged programs for everything except their word processing. Go figure. I have to admit I do enjoy my mac book pro and would write on it but it's hard to write for long periods of time on a notebook.
A friend of mine was given a mac book that the owner was going to throw away. It had a huge dent int the corner (an I mean crushed kind of dent) and was close to 15 (according to previous owner) years old. Still ran although it had a couple of lines through the screen from being repeatedly dropped. It also weighed a ton and a half because it was so thick. And it could even run the oldest version of Mac OS X. Slow but it again it ran. I don't know many PC products that could run any kind of current software on a machine older than a decade.
Of course there is cost too. They really do hurt the bank.

Any how. Thanks for all your input. I'm reading every reply.

larger capacity drivers typically have a higher rma/failure rate yes. At this point if all you cared about was integrated graphics why not give the a10 5800k a look. They are cheap get the job done and you don't need really a graphics card. If you were to game then yea get a intel chip and slap a integrated chip in. But that being said the a10 uses a real GPU in its CPU and it blows away anything intel has. Also, Dell is a horrible company to work with customer support wise. I feel you will get a better power supply by building which will give you a more stable experience, also will probably be more efficient and cheaper on the bill, as well as a stronger motherboard something you can actually do things with instead of being locked.

Actually mac isn't a bad platform I guess it just depends on what you would use it for. There is a thing called hackintosh which allows you to run mac os x on a pc but I won't leave any links for it since its not something i can promote.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Oh no Im happy to see your choosing intel. I went from AMD to intel it was the best decision for me. But if you have the money I would choose a ivy bridge CPU. The 3570k integrated should do you just fine.