[SOLVED] Sapphire Pluse RX 5700 XT memory temperature too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolinar6

Honorable
Feb 16, 2014
Hello!

I'm looking for Sapphire Pluse RX 5700 XT owners experience with their card temps and noise.

Last week my Sapphire Pluse RX 5700 XT arrived and performance has been great!
After plying for a day I noticed strange high pitched and buzzing sounds that seem to come from card.
It's especially loud in The Whicher 3 menu with ~2200 FPS and up. Capping frame rate has helped but it's still noticeable at times (quiet game scenes).

I started investigating how is my card performing and run some games with GPU-Z open.
Running SotTR at 1440p for an hour resulted following temps:
GPU edge: 72C avg, 76C max
GPU junction: 85C avg, 97C max
GPU memory: 96C avg, 102C max
GPU VRM: 82C avg, 86C max
Fan speed averaged around 1300 RPM

I've reached out Sapphire and their customer support was quick to answer.
About memory temperatures they said these temps are within range that's considered safe. Memory temp can go up to 106C on load and is considered OK.
About the strange noise they said this is an electrical characteristic of relative components when in load which would not damage nor affect the performance.

That's great that the noise doesn't mean my card is dying but to me memory temperature looks bit too toasty with 102C peak temperature and 96C average.
I'm wondering how did review temps were ~83C.

Anyone else experiencing high memory temp or strange sound with their Pulse model?

Solution
Hello Mr,

Was googling around for the same thing (high memory temps on this graphics card) and just wanted to create a throwaway account to reply to this comment.

Yes I am having the same issues with high temps on the memory on this card. I am running Furmark to stress the GPU and tracking the temps using MSI Afterburner. After running Furmark for some time I see that I am leveling out in a similar range to you 102-104C on the video memory. On the other temps I seem to be doing about the same as you too which seems to be OK. But I too am confused about how high the memory temps are, especially since if I check the review from GamerNexus he is stating a max temp on the memory for the card of 70C. This temp seems to me as it is almost...
Jul 22, 2020
Hello Mr,

Was googling around for the same thing (high memory temps on this graphics card) and just wanted to create a throwaway account to reply to this comment.

Yes I am having the same issues with high temps on the memory on this card. I am running Furmark to stress the GPU and tracking the temps using MSI Afterburner. After running Furmark for some time I see that I am leveling out in a similar range to you 102-104C on the video memory. On the other temps I seem to be doing about the same as you too which seems to be OK. But I too am confused about how high the memory temps are, especially since if I check the review from GamerNexus he is stating a max temp on the memory for the card of 70C. This temp seems to me as it is almost impossible to have given the other max thermals he is providing. There must be some difference in the way we are recording temps or there is some misunderstanding/error here.

GamerNexus Review (scroll down for temps): https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3498-sapphire-rx-5700-xt-pulse-review

However, if Sapphire are saying we are OK rocking these high memory temps then I guess it is just time for us to forget about this and game on, as they have a lot more knowledge about this card than anyone else. I guess reading too much on internet about this made me a bit of a hypochondriac. :)

I have had no issues with strange noises from the card however so can't say anything about that.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.