Sata 1 vs Sata 2 on my board

xChaoSx

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Hey guys i have a Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard and it just says it supports dual sata raid. I'm guessin its not set to run with Sata 2? Im getting an additional SATA HDD and should i buy a Sata 1 or 2 drive for it?

thanks in advance,

xx

p.s (i read this in a review "The problem with VIA’s 8237 controller is that it only supports two IDE and two SATA disks with RAID capabilities of 0 and 1." im a HDD noob. Does that mean i can have a master and a slave?)

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I think you're trying to compare apples & oranges...

SATA 1/2/II/150/300/IO etc., are all nicknames for what is 2 SATA speeds: 150mb/s & 300mb/s. An SATA2 (meaning 300mb/s) hard drive will work fine on an SATA1 (meaning 150mb/s) mobo, and an SATA1 drive will work fine on an SATA2 mobo. (couple gotcha's for incompatible drives on a couple particular mobos, but truly 99.9% are compatible)

'dual sata raid' does not mean it is not SATA2 (probably isn't anyways). You should be able to get either 1 or 2 and it will work fine.

re: your PS: Yes, but...

IDE (parallel ATA) has master & slave.
SATA is all master (only 1 drive per cable)

Mike.

xChaoSx

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Thanks for the help! And i dont need SATA2 supported mobo to get the benefits of SATA2 over SATA1 ?

thanks again,

xx

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
And i dont need SATA2 supported mobo to get the benefits of SATA2 over SATA1 ?
No, you need both SATA2 mobo and HDD to get the SATA2 benefits. However the primary benefits of SATA2 are 300MB/S bandwidth and NCQ.

Hard drives don't saturate SATA1's 150MB/S so having twice as much bandwidth is not an advantage today. Think of a road - an 'sata1 road' can handle 150 cars/s, sata2 does 300. But the gate at the end of that road (the hard drive) can only feed 100 cars/s. So, having a wider road doesn't do any good, they're still backing up at the gate.

NCQ is pretty worthless in the single-user area because it reorders the requests in the disk queue to optimize & minimize head movement. Sounds great, doesn't it? Except for one thing: in a single-user scenario, the disk queue very rarely ever rises above 1 item. Now NCQ can reorder that 1 item as much as it wants, but it will always be first...

Thanks for the help!
You're welcome.

Mike.

pat

Expert
SATA II gains about 5%-10% performance over SATA 1. Barely notice the difference....

Most likely because of newer drive mechanic and firmware rather than SATAII itself... Raptors are SATA and still perform better than any SATA2 HDD..

Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
SATA II gains about 5%-10% performance over SATA 1. Barely notice the difference....

Most likely because of newer drive mechanic and firmware rather than SATAII itself... Raptors are SATA and still perform better than any SATA2 HDD..

Ya of course raptor still performs better, but I am talking bout two exact HD but different interface not in general.

pat

Expert

Ya of course raptor still performs better, but I am talking bout two exact HD but different interface not in general.

yes, but since SATAII model actually came AFTER SATA one, they got improvement in the whole drive, not only the interface.