mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Ok. I had to change the SATA port the HD was plugged in to :oops: .

But now how do I get the system to boot off of the SATA drive which is not listed as the primary SATA drive? I have the PATA drive still on the primary IDE controller and do not know if I need to change the jumper to "slave". I mirrored my HD with XXCLONE and checked the option to make the new drive bootable, but when I unplug the PATA drive from the IDE cable and boot I get a message "no OS installed".

Please help if you can.

Thanks!!

Eddie

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
is your sata mode set to IDE?

Since I don't know how to do that I would have to say "no". Obviously I don't know a lot about this, but I thought the IDE controller was separate from SATA and did not know you can set SATA to IDE.

How can I set the sata mode to IDE? I guess this is in the BIOS? Is it univeral of all BIOS's?

Eddie

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
You're likely to have to change some settings in your BIOS. To get into the BIOS click on the Delete key when the computer is starting. I have mine set up like this: ATA ON ChipConfig = Native; ATA Mode: PATA; SATA Keep Enabled: Yes. These are likely in the Advance Settings in your BIOS but you may have to look around. Then you have to set the boot sequence in your BIOS so it looks for the SATA dirve first or second if you want it to look at your Floppy first.

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
in advanced settings in the bios thre is an optin
"sata mode" you can set it to either ide or raid(for 1 hdd set it to IDE)