SATA devices not detected sometimes

Jan 4, 2019
I just received a new PC which I bought for my grandparent.
The config is:
Motherboard: Chipset Intel H110
Processor: Intel Pentium G4560 (3.5GHz)
Memory: 4 GB DDR4, 2133MHz
HDD: WD Blue 1000.0 GB, SATA 7200 o/min
Optical drive
Power supply: Kolink 500W

I wasn't able to install Windows 10 64bit because it wasn't seeing the HDD.
So I went into BIOS and both the HDD and Optical drive were not detected.
After about 5 reboots they were both detected, but the next reboot they were not.
So basically every few reboots the are visible in BIOS but still not visible to the Windows 10 installation.
I have reset the BIOS (removed the battery for 15 sec, held the power button for 15 sec)
I have tried changing the SATA connectors, switched the SATA ports.

Is it safe to assume that the motherboard is at fault considering either both the optical drive and HDD boot or they both don't.
Could it be something else?

Thank for any help :)

Update: Connected another power supply, issues persist
But when I turned off the SATA controller it booted bios much faster, was laggy as hell before like a minute to get into bios.
Seems the SATA controller is dead

Solution

Yeah ... that's not right. I think the new board will fix all your issues. Sorry about the frustration.
Jan 4, 2019

I did swap the cable with another one that works for sure. Only thing I can try is swapping the power supply. I have another one. But I honestly feel it's the mobo controller, had the same thought. Just wasn't sure

If you have some other SATA cables around, try a totally different one.

Some motherboards have a separate SATA controller (ie ports 1-4 on chipset, 5-6 on ASmedia SATA). If you do, try one vs the other.

In BIOS ... is SATA type set to IDE, AHCI, or RAID ... AHCI should be the best choice.

Jan 4, 2019

Only one SATA controller 1-4, tried all the ports. Changed power supply just in case and no change.
I did look for the SATA type option and couldn't find it, went through all the advanced menus, so I guess there isn't one.
I have only 3 Storage configuration options: SATA Controller - enabled, SATA Aggresive Link - disabled, Hard disk SMART - enabled.
Curiously enough, when I disabled the SATA controller BIOS booted in one sec and while it was enabled it took like over 1 min to get into bios.
I honestly think the SATA controller is just dead and that's it, will take the motherboard back and get it replaced.
Thanks for the advice! :)

Yeah ... that's not right. I think the new board will fix all your issues. Sorry about the frustration.

Solution
Jan 4, 2019

Thanks for the help ;)