SATA Drive is DAM slow, how to fix it

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I am using

Asus sli delux
1GB ram
120GB SATA segate
MSI 6600GT pcie

My SATA Drive is dam slow,i am getting iritated of its performance.

any recommendation or solution on how to make SATA drive fast.


Regards
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"chandra" <chandra@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
news:8j1me.26339$tM3.5511@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>I am using
>
> Asus sli delux
> 1GB ram
> 120GB SATA segate
> MSI 6600GT pcie
>
> My SATA Drive is dam slow,i am getting iritated of its performance.
>
> any recommendation or solution on how to make SATA drive fast.
>
>
> Regards

Go to Windows device manager and find out what speed your drive controller
is set at. Check the transfer mode and make sure it is set at Serial ATA 1
Generation - 1.5GB. This should be selected automatically, but if it is not
you have some kind of problem.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

chandra wrote:
> I am using
>
> Asus sli delux
> 1GB ram
> 120GB SATA segate
> MSI 6600GT pcie
>
> My SATA Drive is dam slow,i am getting iritated of its performance.
>
> any recommendation or solution on how to make SATA drive fast.
>
>
> Regards

For starters, you should quantify your HD's STR with a bit more
specificity than "damn slow". Download HDtach, either v3.x if you
have NT/W2K/XP or v2.x if you have W9x, then run it as close to
standalone as you can get under your OS. Then, compare HDtach's
reported data with Seagate's specs for that HD, and see if they
kinda match.
--
Cheers, Bob
 

geoff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
431
0
18,780
Best answers
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Speaking of slow, etc., when will solid state drives come to the masses?

-g


"chandra" <chandra@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
news:8j1me.26339$tM3.5511@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> I am using
>
> Asus sli delux
> 1GB ram
> 120GB SATA segate
> MSI 6600GT pcie
>
> My SATA Drive is dam slow,i am getting iritated of its performance.
>
> any recommendation or solution on how to make SATA drive fast.
>
>
> Regards
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Mark A" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in
news:Y46dnWKqBpu1IAXfRVn-uw@comcast.com:

> Go to Windows device manager and find out what speed your drive
> controller is set at. Check the transfer mode and make sure it is set
> at Serial ATA 1 Generation - 1.5GB. This should be selected
> automatically, but if it is not you have some kind of problem.

Where is this exactly?
I can't find anything like it on mine.

--
Alex Devlin

"Never knowingly understood."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

i checked, it is set to 1.5GB

especially i have a download folder, when i read that folder it will
take at least 5-10 min some time.
dont know how to trouble shoot.


Mark A wrote:
> "chandra" <chandra@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:8j1me.26339$tM3.5511@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>
>>I am using
>>
>>Asus sli delux
>>1GB ram
>>120GB SATA segate
>>MSI 6600GT pcie
>>
>>My SATA Drive is dam slow,i am getting iritated of its performance.
>>
>>any recommendation or solution on how to make SATA drive fast.
>>
>>
>>Regards
>
>
> Go to Windows device manager and find out what speed your drive controller
> is set at. Check the transfer mode and make sure it is set at Serial ATA 1
> Generation - 1.5GB. This should be selected automatically, but if it is not
> you have some kind of problem.
>
>
 

Paul

Splendid
Mar 30, 2004
5,267
0
25,780
Best answers
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

In article <f75me.26757$tM3.16078@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, Chandra
<chandra@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> i checked, it is set to 1.5GB
>
> especially i have a download folder, when i read that folder it will
> take at least 5-10 min some time.
> dont know how to trouble shoot.
>
>

Is this a problem with Windows attempting to preview
the contents of the download folder ? I seem to remember
a problem, where Windows would read entire movie files, to
get some vital statistics for the file, or to present
previews of the movie. Perhaps your computer is busy doing all
sorts of unnecessary work, every time the download folder is
opened.

Since you haven't described all the symptoms and exactly
how you are viewing your download folder, all I can suggest
is:

google on: windows explorer preview movie disable

If the CPU is running at 100% during those 5-10 minutes,
you know something is up. Try opening Task Manager and
see what processes are busy during the 5-10 minute interval.

HTH,
Paul
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hi

i did benching mark with the HDtach

Mine i got
Burst Speed 133.4 MB/s
Random Access 12.4 ms
CPU Utilization 5% [+/- 2%]
Average Read 47.7 MB/s

Comparing bench mark with Segate Barracuda

Burst Speed 98.5 MB/s
Random Access 12.5 ms
CPU Utilization 2% [+/- 2%]
Average Read 46.2 MB/s

Like to have any comments Bob.





Bob Willard wrote:
> chandra wrote:
>
>> I am using
>>
>> Asus sli delux
>> 1GB ram
>> 120GB SATA segate
>> MSI 6600GT pcie
>>
>> My SATA Drive is dam slow,i am getting iritated of its performance.
>>
>> any recommendation or solution on how to make SATA drive fast.
>>
>>
>> Regards
>
>
> For starters, you should quantify your HD's STR with a bit more
> specificity than "damn slow". Download HDtach, either v3.x if you
> have NT/W2K/XP or v2.x if you have W9x, then run it as close to
> standalone as you can get under your OS. Then, compare HDtach's
> reported data with Seagate's specs for that HD, and see if they
> kinda match.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

> Speaking of slow, etc., when will solid state drives come to the masses?
>
> -g
>
>

There already here in the form of USB pens,CF cards,SD cards and Memory
sticks. However looks like years before one will get a solid state device
big enough to internally fit in a pc using ATA or SATA type controller
interfaces. Memory is just to expensive for the size of drives available
these days. Maybe some very small GB drives will appear soon but thats all
surmising.

Steve
 

bill

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
1,834
0
19,780
Best answers
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

In article <3fs4miF9a2r8U1@individual.net>, zen20140@zen.co.uk says...
>
> > Speaking of slow, etc., when will solid state drives come to the masses?
> >
> > -g
> >
> >
>
> There already here in the form of USB pens,CF cards,SD cards and Memory
> sticks. However looks like years before one will get a solid state device
> big enough to internally fit in a pc using ATA or SATA type controller
> interfaces. Memory is just to expensive for the size of drives available
> these days. Maybe some very small GB drives will appear soon but thats all
> surmising.
>
> Steve
>
>
>

http://news.designtechnica.com/article7516.html

Bill
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

> i did benching mark with the HDtach
>
> Mine i got
> Burst Speed 133.4 MB/s
> Random Access 12.4 ms
> CPU Utilization 5% [+/- 2%]
> Average Read 47.7 MB/s
>
> Comparing bench mark with Segate Barracuda
>
> Burst Speed 98.5 MB/s
> Random Access 12.5 ms
> CPU Utilization 2% [+/- 2%]
> Average Read 46.2 MB/s
>

Just looking at those results it looks far from slow and better than the
Seagate. Just because it's a SATA doesn't mean it's gonna be rocket fuel.
The extra bandwidth (150MB/s) isn't going to make a whole huge difference
because the reading of the discs and transfering the info to the SATA
controllers is letting it down and unlikely to be any faster than an EIDE
drive.

Steve
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Stevie Boy" <zen20140@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3fsa3vF9f5nnU1@individual.net...
> Just looking at those results it looks far from slow and better than the
> Seagate. Just because it's a SATA doesn't mean it's gonna be rocket fuel.
> The extra bandwidth (150MB/s) isn't going to make a whole huge difference
> because the reading of the discs and transfering the info to the SATA
> controllers is letting it down and unlikely to be any faster than an EIDE
> drive.
>
> Steve
That's correct. Most desktop 7200 RPM SATA drives are limited by the
physical drive technology. Not really much faster than the best IDE drives
for most applications.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

you need to check under IDE controllers.
see which controller you are using for SATA
it will show you in the properties.

Alex Devlin wrote:
> "Mark A" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in
> news:Y46dnWKqBpu1IAXfRVn-uw@comcast.com:
>
>
>>Go to Windows device manager and find out what speed your drive
>>controller is set at. Check the transfer mode and make sure it is set
>>at Serial ATA 1 Generation - 1.5GB. This should be selected
>>automatically, but if it is not you have some kind of problem.
>
>
> Where is this exactly?
> I can't find anything like it on mine.
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

This is just a download folder with all the files i download
no movies
no songs
just pure software

windows explorer is the process taking up 99% resources. when i am
browsing the download folder.

it happens often


Paul wrote:
> In article <f75me.26757$tM3.16078@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, Chandra
> <chandra@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
>
>
>>i checked, it is set to 1.5GB
>>
>>especially i have a download folder, when i read that folder it will
>>take at least 5-10 min some time.
>>dont know how to trouble shoot.
>>
>>
>
>
> Is this a problem with Windows attempting to preview
> the contents of the download folder ? I seem to remember
> a problem, where Windows would read entire movie files, to
> get some vital statistics for the file, or to present
> previews of the movie. Perhaps your computer is busy doing all
> sorts of unnecessary work, every time the download folder is
> opened.
>
> Since you haven't described all the symptoms and exactly
> how you are viewing your download folder, all I can suggest
> is:
>
> google on: windows explorer preview movie disable
>
> If the CPU is running at 100% during those 5-10 minutes,
> you know something is up. Try opening Task Manager and
> see what processes are busy during the 5-10 minute interval.
>
> HTH,
> Paul
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hi Chandra,

On Sat, 28 May 2005 16:50:12 GMT, chandra <chandra@rochester.rr.com>
wrote:

>I am using
>
>Asus sli delux
>1GB ram
>120GB SATA segate
>MSI 6600GT pcie
>
>My SATA Drive is dam slow,i am getting iritated of its performance.
>
>any recommendation or solution on how to make SATA drive fast.

I've read the other posters replies.

I asume the motherboard is the ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe.

I've just troubleshooted SATA drive problems on my own board ...
Unfortunately I didn't find any answers how to correct it, but I found
a work around.

I had two drives one Maxtor 160 GB SATA Drive (my system drive) and
one 250 GB SATA Seagate drive connected an experienced that they were
much slower than could be expected. With extensive disk use, they
would actually freeze, but it didn't happen too often, so I lived with
it.

I got this board because it has 8 SATA ports, I needed to connect 6 x
250 GB drives as a soft raid 5 (a windows soft raid NOT the inbuild
raid) - they were all Seagate 250 GB drives.

But the inbuild SIL3114 won't work as a simple SATA controller, so I
had to get a Promise SATA II 150 TX4 4 SATA port controller. I then
connected 4 of the Seagate 250 GB drives of the 6 drive raid to this
controller. And the 2 other of the 6 drive raid to the NVidia
controller, which will work as a simple SATA controller.

This was slow, this crashed and trashed my drives all the time.

I have now disabled BOTH the onboard Sil3114 and the onboard NVidia
SATA controllers and connect two Promise SATA II 150 TX4 4 sata port
controllers.

For 60 Hours now ... Not a single BSOD or breakdown (before it would
run max 2 hours IF I DIDN'T TOUCH THE COMPUTER, much less if I used
it!!). Not only that - it's considerable much faster

I don't know if the onboard controllers are bad, if they are not
compatible with the drive I have - or what.

If possible, try to disable the onboard SATA controllers and use an
external one - it will give you some idea, if it works for you.

regards Leif.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

> I've read the other posters replies.
>
> I asume the motherboard is the ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe.
>
> I've just troubleshooted SATA drive problems on my own board ...
> Unfortunately I didn't find any answers how to correct it, but I found
> a work around.
>
> I had two drives one Maxtor 160 GB SATA Drive (my system drive) and
> one 250 GB SATA Seagate drive connected an experienced that they were
> much slower than could be expected. With extensive disk use, they
> would actually freeze, but it didn't happen too often, so I lived with
> it.
>
> I got this board because it has 8 SATA ports, I needed to connect 6 x
> 250 GB drives as a soft raid 5 (a windows soft raid NOT the inbuild
> raid) - they were all Seagate 250 GB drives.
>
> But the inbuild SIL3114 won't work as a simple SATA controller, so I
> had to get a Promise SATA II 150 TX4 4 SATA port controller. I then
> connected 4 of the Seagate 250 GB drives of the 6 drive raid to this
> controller. And the 2 other of the 6 drive raid to the NVidia
> controller, which will work as a simple SATA controller.
>
> This was slow, this crashed and trashed my drives all the time.
>
> I have now disabled BOTH the onboard Sil3114 and the onboard NVidia
> SATA controllers and connect two Promise SATA II 150 TX4 4 sata port
> controllers.
>
> For 60 Hours now ... Not a single BSOD or breakdown (before it would
> run max 2 hours IF I DIDN'T TOUCH THE COMPUTER, much less if I used
> it!!). Not only that - it's considerable much faster
>
> I don't know if the onboard controllers are bad, if they are not
> compatible with the drive I have - or what.
>
> If possible, try to disable the onboard SATA controllers and use an
> external one - it will give you some idea, if it works for you.
>
> regards Leif.
>
I have heard other people report problems with Maxtor drives on the on-board
SATA controllers. They changed one of the configuration options in the
device manager, but I don't remember exactly what it was (write caching or
something). I would also check with Maxtor to see if a firmware update is
available.
 

milleron

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2004
281
0
18,780
Best answers
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Sun, 29 May 2005 00:53:04 GMT, Chandra <chandra@rochester.rr.com>
wrote:

>This is just a download folder with all the files i download
>no movies
>no songs
>just pure software
>
>windows explorer is the process taking up 99% resources. when i am
>browsing the download folder.
>
>it happens often

I experienced a situation in which imaging software (not to mention
any names, but the initials are Acronis True Image) erroneously
started breaking the image file into 1-kilobyte fragments. This took
NO time to generate over 10,000 files, and the behavior when trying to
open the folder that contained them was just as you describe.
So, the question is, how many files do you have in your download
folder?

>Paul wrote:
>> In article <f75me.26757$tM3.16078@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, Chandra
>> <chandra@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>i checked, it is set to 1.5GB
>>>
>>>especially i have a download folder, when i read that folder it will
>>>take at least 5-10 min some time.
>>>dont know how to trouble shoot.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> Is this a problem with Windows attempting to preview
>> the contents of the download folder ? I seem to remember
>> a problem, where Windows would read entire movie files, to
>> get some vital statistics for the file, or to present
>> previews of the movie. Perhaps your computer is busy doing all
>> sorts of unnecessary work, every time the download folder is
>> opened.
>>
>> Since you haven't described all the symptoms and exactly
>> how you are viewing your download folder, all I can suggest
>> is:
>>
>> google on: windows explorer preview movie disable
>>
>> If the CPU is running at 100% during those 5-10 minutes,
>> you know something is up. Try opening Task Manager and
>> see what processes are busy during the 5-10 minute interval.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Paul

Ron
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hi Mark,

>I have heard other people report problems with Maxtor drives on the on-board
>SATA controllers. They changed one of the configuration options in the
>device manager, but I don't remember exactly what it was (write caching or
>something). I would also check with Maxtor to see if a firmware update is
>available.

Thank you for the reply.

Yes those are the DiamondMax10 disks.

Mine is a DiamondMax9, and shouldn't have this problem. But what has
caused of my drives not working on the onboard SATA controllers I
don't know.

Regards LEIF.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Chandra <chandra@rochester.rr.com> wrote in news:pT7me.16705$zd5.2980
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

> you need to check under IDE controllers.
> see which controller you are using for SATA
> it will show you in the properties.
>

Hmm, I don't seem to have anything like that.

What I do have is this;

Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers

I have two of those and two each of the Primary and Secondary IDE Channel.

None of them have the option you were talking about.

Now the weird thing is I do have a SATA hard drive plugged into the SATA
connector on the Asus P4P800SE motherboard. But when I installed WinXP from
fresh I never needed to install any drivers, it saw the drive and installed
into it.

I ran HDTech and got a burst read of 125.6 MB/s and an average read of
47.4MB/s.

So I'm wondering if I can do anything to increase the speed. There doesn't
seem to be any drivers on the CD I got with the motherboard or the Intel
site for my chipset to update them.

--
Alex Devlin

"Never knowingly understood."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

One source of tremendous disk thrashing and CPU load when opening
download folders is the zipfldr.dll Windows Explorer uses per default on
XP and later. That's why I remove the respective keys in the registry
pretty quickly after a (re)install. Speeds up things tremendously.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W
 

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
415
0
18,780
Best answers
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Leif Nordmand Andersen" <lna@flashmail.com> wrote in message
news:1k0i91h9itqqknth88vq4emj65uih3ou5i@4ax.com...
> Hi Mark,
>
>>I have heard other people report problems with Maxtor drives on the
>>on-board
>>SATA controllers. They changed one of the configuration options in the
>>device manager, but I don't remember exactly what it was (write caching or
>>something). I would also check with Maxtor to see if a firmware update is
>>available.
>
> Thank you for the reply.
>
> Yes those are the DiamondMax10 disks.
>
> Mine is a DiamondMax9, and shouldn't have this problem. But what has
> caused of my drives not working on the onboard SATA controllers I
> don't know.
>
> Regards LEIF.
>

Some Diamondmax 9 drives most certainly do have a problem :-(

My drives would disappear from Windows or just not appear at all.

I emailed Maxtor support and got sent a firmware update (YAR51HW0) and so
far so good (touch wood)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Can you please explain in more detail.
"Stephan Grossklass" <sgrokla-nospam04q2@yahoo.de> wrote in message
news:d7cjn0$8s1$03$1@news.t-online.com...
> One source of tremendous disk thrashing and CPU load when opening
> download folders is the zipfldr.dll Windows Explorer uses per default on
> XP and later. That's why I remove the respective keys in the registry
> pretty quickly after a (re)install. Speeds up things tremendously.
>
> Stephan
> --
> Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
> PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Chandra wrote:
> Hi
>
> i did benching mark with the HDtach
>
> Mine i got
> Burst Speed 133.4 MB/s
> Random Access 12.4 ms
> CPU Utilization 5% [+/- 2%]
> Average Read 47.7 MB/s
>
> Comparing bench mark with Segate Barracuda
>
> Burst Speed 98.5 MB/s
> Random Access 12.5 ms
> CPU Utilization 2% [+/- 2%]
> Average Read 46.2 MB/s
>
> Like to have any comments Bob.
>
>
>
>
>
> Bob Willard wrote:
>
>> chandra wrote:
>>
>>> I am using
>>>
>>> Asus sli delux
>>> 1GB ram
>>> 120GB SATA segate
>>> MSI 6600GT pcie
>>>
>>> My SATA Drive is dam slow,i am getting iritated of its performance.
>>>
>>> any recommendation or solution on how to make SATA drive fast.
>>>
>>>
>>> Regards
>>
>>
>>
>> For starters, you should quantify your HD's STR with a bit more
>> specificity than "damn slow". Download HDtach, either v3.x if you
>> have NT/W2K/XP or v2.x if you have W9x, then run it as close to
>> standalone as you can get under your OS. Then, compare HDtach's
>> reported data with Seagate's specs for that HD, and see if they
>> kinda match.

Looks like you are getting all the performance that HD has to offer.
So, if you want something faster, you'll need to replace that HD with
a faster one. For a single HD, the WDC 74GB Raptor is still tops; or,
for a "few" $s more, you can create a RAIDset.
--
Cheers, Bob
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hi Simon,

>Some Diamondmax 9 drives most certainly do have a problem :-(
>
>My drives would disappear from Windows or just not appear at all.
>
>I emailed Maxtor support and got sent a firmware update (YAR51HW0) and so
>far so good (touch wood)

Thank you very much for the information.

I'll write Maxtor support and get them to send me an updated BIOS,
it's definately worth a try.

Regards Leif.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Kevin Haas schrieb:
> "Stephan Grossklass" <sgrokla-nospam04q2@yahoo.de> wrote in message
>> One source of tremendous disk thrashing and CPU load when opening
>> download folders is the zipfldr.dll Windows Explorer uses per default on
>> XP and later. That's why I remove the respective keys in the registry
>> pretty quickly after a (re)install. Speeds up things tremendously.
>
> Can you please explain in more detail.

This method looks like it should work:
http://jorriss.com/dottext/jorriss/archive/2004/12/09/388.aspx

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS