Question SATA HDD not visible in Windows 10 ?

Jun 10, 2023
There are two HGST HDN726040ALE614 HDDs installed . These are in Sata Port 0, and 1. Their storage capacity is 4000784417280 .

Both these drives are visible in the BIOS, and also the Device Manager,
but the one in SATA Port 1 is not visible in Disk Management, nor is it visible in the Windows Explorer.
The Device Manager shows in Properties that both drives are working properly.

What do I need to do to make the drive in Port 1 fully visible so it can be used?

The mother board is a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX AM3+/AM3.
Bios Version: FD

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023
check the windows 10 storage spaces
Just as in the Disk Manager, the drive in SATA Port 1 is not visible in "Manage Storage Spaces". Only the one at SATA Port 0 is. When I attempt to add the one in SATA Port 1 I get the error message "No drives that work with Storage Spaces are available." Before a drive is visible here, it would have to be visible in the Disk Manager.

Jun 10, 2023
there 6 sata port. test with another port?
I ran SpinRite on that drive on SATA Port 1 I have this trouble with, and it told me what the problem is. Here is the message it gives me:

Invalid Partition for Drive Size.
This partition exceeds the size of this drive as defined by the system's BIOS, or BIOS extension.

You should NOT PROCEED to use SpinRite on this drive until you have verified and corrected the disparity between this drive and the BIOS's or BIOS extension's understanding of the drive size.

Apparently, while partitioning this drive in preparation to set up Windows 10 software RAID 1 Mirror, I screwed up the partitioning. So what is the best way to correct this? Because Windows 10 does not show it, I cannot use Windows 10 to partition this drive. I suspect I will have to use a third party partitioner, such as GParted perhaps.