monstermonroe

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
Hi, I wanted to add a second hard drive to my computer which is easy enough but once i put hard drive into its spare bay I noticed that my motherboard only has 2 sata ports 1 for the main drive and the second 1 used for the optical drive, is this normal ?? it’s just seems odd to have a spare drive bay but no spare port to connect it.

Solution
If the computer has usb 3.0, you could get a usb 3.0 sata adapter or external enclosure for an ssd/hdd or buy an external ssd/hdd. I actually hooked up a usb sata adapter to my computer because I needed a 7th sata port for my blu-ray burner but I had only 6 on the board I'm switching to soon. I have it running internally off a usb 2.0 header and powered by the psu.
I'd expect only two SATA ports to be more of a laptop constraint, but, I suppose only two ports is possible with some bargain mainboards...

If you intend to clone to the larger drive, you can borrow the optical's cables until done...

If you are willing to sacrifice the optical (or go to a $35 external USB optical when one is needed), then you can live with the 'only two SATA ports' scenario more readily....

Reactions: monstermonroe
If the computer has usb 3.0, you could get a usb 3.0 sata adapter or external enclosure for an ssd/hdd or buy an external ssd/hdd. I actually hooked up a usb sata adapter to my computer because I needed a 7th sata port for my blu-ray burner but I had only 6 on the board I'm switching to soon. I have it running internally off a usb 2.0 header and powered by the psu.

Reactions: monstermonroe
Solution