Question Sata provides 12v when on but 5v when off

Jun 7, 2023
I have recently completed my new PC build and I'm having an issue I havent been able to figure out yet and am looking for some help. I Have a dual loop water cooled system (Kinda doubt the motherboard TRX40 threadripper) is the issue as it seems to be the SATA power. When I power off the PC the fans on my radiators spin down to a stop BUT twitch like they are trying to run. The 5v LED portion of the very same fans remain on without issue. Now my resevior pumps are on the same SATA cable so im betting the 12 pumps are also being fed the same 5v the fans that are twitching are also.
Do I have some sort of odd ball Sata cables that provide 12v when the power supply is on and Pc is booted up but continues to provide 5v after shut down?
Fyi my power supply is a EVGA Supernova 1600 G2.

Heres a quick Vid of whats happening.
View: https://youtu.be/-5nuvDtxNWs

Also after I "Shut down" and it gets to the state shown in the video, if i press the power button to turn the computer back on it all goes dark for like 10 seconds, then boots back up but never gives a video signal or even usb power to turn on my keyboard and mouse forcing me to "Reset". I like my computer but it has issues.

Last edited:
May 29, 2023
Interesting situation you've got there! It's normal for SATA power connectors to supply both 5V and 12V simultaneously, each to different components. The 12V line is typically used for mechanical parts like motors in HDDs, fans, and pumps, while the 5V line powers electronics like LEDs.

Now, it's unusual that your fans and pumps are behaving this way after shutdown. This could indicate that your power supply isn't shutting off completely. Some motherboards or PSUs have a feature that allows power to be supplied to certain components even when the PC is turned off, usually for functions like USB charging. You might want to check your PSU and motherboard settings to see if such a feature is active.

Also, remember that troubleshooting is a process of elimination. Try swapping out the SATA cables, the PSU, or even testing on a different system if possible. This will help you pin down the issue. Good luck!

Jun 7, 2023
Interesting situation you've got there! It's normal for SATA power connectors to supply both 5V and 12V simultaneously, each to different components. The 12V line is typically used for mechanical parts like motors in HDDs, fans, and pumps, while the 5V line powers electronics like LEDs.

Now, it's unusual that your fans and pumps are behaving this way after shutdown. This could indicate that your power supply isn't shutting off completely. Some motherboards or PSUs have a feature that allows power to be supplied to certain components even when the PC is turned off, usually for functions like USB charging. You might want to check your PSU and motherboard settings to see if such a feature is active.

Also, remember that troubleshooting is a process of elimination. Try swapping out the SATA cables, the PSU, or even testing on a different system if possible. This will help you pin down the issue. Good luck!
Ill have to dig into that after work and see if theres something in my Bios. As for the power supply I really dont think theres any sort of options on it to go into some sort of USB mode. And yea i was kinda thinking it was going into some sort of USB charging mode myself. Also I just uploaded a vid and put it on my first post if you want to see what its doing.
Thank you for your reply.

Reactions: DelenaСhelsiecain