Question sata ssd running host and have vm on m.2 nvme question ?

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Hi all

Lets say I have windows 10 running its os on a sata ssd and had 3x hyper-v VM's os running on a m.2 NVMe 4th gen each(3x). Will the vm's run faster if I upgrade the host sata ssd to a m.2 NVMe 4th gen ? Every .5 of a sec matters.

Last edited:

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
No.

The VM runs entirely on whatever drive it is on.
The Host just provides extra servies.
Ok.. So the host don't have any proses to do after it has the vm's up and running ? Again each vm image is on there own drives(m.2 4gen)

I only ask because I'm working on a system that is based on operating 2 mouse's at same time similar to how VR uses 2 hand sensors and need the batá testing to be as close as I can get it for dexterity/user friendly as I can to make a judgment call.
So I'm using gaming intensity for testing user capability for operation of the system.

ps. sorry this has to be one of the worst stated sentence ever.

USAFRet

Titan
Well, the Host system does do things like pass network traffic and GPU traffic.
But I can't imagine SATA SSD vs NVMe SSD would make any real difference.

You'd have to do intensive testing in all configs to really tell.

Run tests with the Host on a SATA III SSD.
Document the results.

Then, clone that exact Host system to an NVMe, and rerun those exact same tests, in the exact same conditions.

kanewolf

Titan
Ok.. So the host don't have any proses to do after it has the vm's up and running ? Again each vm image is on there own drives(m.2 4gen)

I only ask because I'm working on a system that is based on operating 2 mouse's at same time similar to how VR uses 2 hand sensors and need the batá testing to be as close as I can get it for dexterity/user friendly as I can to make a judgment call.
So I'm using gaming intensity for testing user capability for operation of the system.

ps. sorry this has to be one of the worst stated sentence ever.
VMs are more sensitive to RAM. Do you have sufficient RAM to run everything? After RAM, then is CPU cores. Then third would be storage. Finally would be the hypervisor. Windows 10 is probably the worst way to implement the host OS for VMs. You want the base machine to use the least resources. Linux KVM or similar thin hypervisor would be much better.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
VMs are more sensitive to RAM. Do you have sufficient RAM to run everything? After RAM, then is CPU cores. Then third would be storage. Finally would be the hypervisor. Windows 10 is probably the worst way to implement the host OS for VMs. You want the base machine to use the least resources. Linux KVM or similar thin hypervisor would be much better.
True. My main hinge up is I'm super Illiterate at language arts so cmd/sudo is very frustrating for me wen it comes to linux. I have played with some non bear bone linux os's. I even had a fairly good arch running one time in the past.. Was panful.
And I'm still not quite sure what you're actually building here.

Multiseat gaming?
Something else?
It's basically monitoring multipool gamers on one rig. A lot of human behavior monitoring. I'm aiming for 4 os. One host and 3 vm's. Hos can be low performance.

THE big bummer is my budget changed. I might have to use all ebay used parts.
So... Should I scrap my Prime b350-plus and my Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core 3.20 GHz ? I WOULD HATE TO PUT MONEY INTO RAM and realizes cpu and board is crap vs a newer moddel motherboard.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS