Question SATA SSD seems to be failing

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
Hello Everyone,

So a few years ago i bought the PSU shroud for the Bequiet Dark base pro 900 v.1 and after just installing the piece of hard plastic that it really is i tried booting up my PC and something seemed odd because i hadn't unplugged any cables or anything but i couldnt boot to windows anymore. I went into the BIOS and checked if something had changed but the issue still remained. I called in a friend and we booted Linux from a USB stick to test the SSD but eventually gave up. I gave up and bought a new SSD. Now to my actual problem. When i plug the SSD in, it still shows up and the data on it is accessable, everything seems perfectly fine. I didn't use the SSD for a while and usually install my main games on another 2TB HDD until my Storage ran out. I started installing games on the SSD and experienced a few things that i can't really understand. Some Games run perfectly fine (Cyberpunk, Battlefield, CoD, Overwatch) but other Games like (Forza Horizon 5) are randomly Crashing or even Freezing my whole system. When i was troubleshooting the crashes on FH5 a friend of mine recommended that i should move it to another hard drive and after i did the problem seemed fixed. I thought maybe it's some Windows related issue that i cant really understand much further since it usually ends up being really complex. So i avoided installing Windows games on that SSD and had no further issues. A while ago i started playing AC:Origins and again after a while the Game randomly freezes and even ended up having BSOD (CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT Error code).

Does anyone have experienced something similar with an SSD? Why do some games Work and some dont? Could the BSOD be related because i had the SSD set up as my Boot device before it stopped working and i couldnt format it properly? How can i be certain that the SSD is faulty and its not just me missing something important here.

Sorry for the long text and Thank you in advance!

I've never had an SSD fail, however I have encountered issues with faulty SATA ports causing the PC to randomly restart. I've also had faulty SATA cables cause issues too, if they are damaged from being bent too much for example they might cause problems. Have you tried a different port and cable? You may also want to check the SMART stats with something like Crystal Disk Info just in case there's anything that stands out.

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
Can you list the full specs to your build inclusive of the SSD's you mention? Also, can you pass a link to the PSU shroud you got? Pinched cables can be a cause for 2.5"/3.5" drive issues, mind you.
CPU: i7 6700K @4.9 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA MSI GeForce RTX 3070 FE
Mainboard: Z270 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU Cooler: NZXT X62 Kraken
RAM: 2x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3000 mhz
SSD: Samsung m.2 SSD 980 EVO 500 GB <- My current boot drive
SSD: 250 GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO <- this one is failing
HDD: 4TB Western Digital WD20EZRX[2x2TB]
Case: Dark Base Pro 900 Black Edition

This is the PSU shroud i got: https://www.bequiet.com/de/accessories/1481

I checked and replaced all the cables a while back after i installed the PSU shroud.

Last edited:

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
I've never had an SSD fail, however I have encountered issues with faulty SATA ports causing the PC to randomly restart. I've also had faulty SATA cables cause issues too, if they are damaged from being bent too much for example they might cause problems. Have you tried a different port and cable? You may also want to check the SMART stats with something like Crystal Disk Info just in case there's anything that stands out.
I thought so too and swapped the cables after i had issues, even swapped ports and tried it on another MB. The SSD seems busted but weirdly still works. I remember reinstalling Windows but after the needed restart it said that it cannot find a boot drive so i was back to square one.

I thought so too and swapped the cables after i had issues, even swapped ports and tried it on another MB. The SSD seems busted but weirdly still works. I remember reinstalling Windows but after the needed restart it said that it cannot find a boot drive so i was back to square one.
It does sound like a faulty drive, surprised to see a Samsung causing problems. I don't have it installed right now but Samsung Magician might be able to tell you more if there is a problem. You could also try updating the drive firmware, sometimes that can cause issues. It does sound like a hardware issue though.