[SOLVED] SATA vs PCI Express NVME Question

Jun 7, 2021
Hi everyone.

I've just bought a new i5 11400 cpu with an Asrock motherboard which has a PCI Express 4.0 x16 and x1 slot. I have 4x SATA ports for drives but I have a NVME drive I've decided I'd like to reuse in this machine - will a PCI Express x1 slot be faster than the SATA ports in this case?

Board is a Asrock H510-HVS

Thanks,

Solution
Hi everyone.

I've just bought a new i5 11400 cpu with an Asrock motherboard which has a PCI Express 4.0 x16 and x1 slot. I have 4x SATA ports for drives but I have a NVME drive I've decided I'd like to reuse in this machine - will a PCI Express x1 slot be faster than the SATA ports in this case?

Thanks,
They will be approximately equal. A SATA port uses the equivalent of one PCIe 3.0 lane.
It is interesting that your motherboard doesn't have an M.2 slot. I guess it is because there isn't enough space. But some motherboards put an M.2 on the backside...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi everyone.

Thanks,
They will be approximately equal. A SATA port uses the equivalent of one PCIe 3.0 lane.
It is interesting that your motherboard doesn't have an M.2 slot. I guess it is because there isn't enough space. But some motherboards put an M.2 on the backside...

Solution
Jun 7, 2021
Cheers. I didn't know if it would be faster with it being PCIe 4.0. I knew it didn't have an M.2 when I purchased it as it was originally going to be a server but I've decided to make it my gaming PC instead of my 8th gen i5. I have an NVME in the 8th gen but I'm sure its on the SATA controller so is pegged back.

Jun 7, 2021
The x1 slot is wired with PCI-e3.0 from the chipset.

NVME doesn't work on the SATA conroller. What make and model is your current ssd and motherboard?
Its an Acer Orion PO3-600. It just doesn't seem very quick and I've had the same M.2 drive in an older alienware which seemed much faster IO wise. It might be the crappy Acer motherboard.