Satellite L755-S5255 Display Problem (shuts off)

August77

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Hello everyone.

I have a problem with my laptop - Satellite L755-S5255, which is less than one year old.

The display sometimes randomly shuts off and there is no other way to revive the computer except for turning it off and then on again. I should mention that the whole computer becomes dead. When I watch a movie and the display shuts off, the movie stops playing and all I can hear "bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" (or something similar). After I restart it, sometimes I get pink dots all over the screen, which won't disappear until the next restart. After the problem appears and I turn the laptop off, I often have to restart it several times to resume working on it - the display shuts off again and again before the "Log In" screen. After 3 or 4 restarts everything is OK again. It boots fine into safe mode.

I have tried reinstalling videocard drivers (clean install from safe mode), and an upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Ultimate also didn't help (not that I was trying to fix the problem with that, I just got a chance to install it). I thought that this is just a hardcore version of the BSOD, but no, the Event Viewer doesn't show anything (except for "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.)

I don't know if the problem is in hardware or software. Would please help me to solve it? Thank you.

Solution
OK One last throw-of-the-dice before you wrap it up and reurn it to your vendor under Warranty...
Back up any personal data, and provided you haven't destroyed the Restore Partition, reset the machine to Factory Settings by:-

1. Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your laptop.
2. When the machine starts beeping release the 0 key.
3. When prompted select ‘Yes’ to continue with system recovery.
4. Select ‘Recovery of Factory Default Software’ click ‘Next’.
5. Select Recover to out-of-box state. Click Next again.
7. Click Next to Start recovery
I think you have a hardware issue, but this way you've tried your best to fix it and wiped your drive in case the Laptop is replaced...

August77

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Thanks for your reply! I have tried doing what you recommended. The usual temperature it shows is around 40-45 Celcius (hit up to 52 while I was running a benchmaring test). Looks like it's normal for this videocard.

OK One last throw-of-the-dice before you wrap it up and reurn it to your vendor under Warranty...
Back up any personal data, and provided you haven't destroyed the Restore Partition, reset the machine to Factory Settings by:-

1. Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your laptop.
2. When the machine starts beeping release the 0 key.
3. When prompted select ‘Yes’ to continue with system recovery.
4. Select ‘Recovery of Factory Default Software’ click ‘Next’.
5. Select Recover to out-of-box state. Click Next again.
7. Click Next to Start recovery
I think you have a hardware issue, but this way you've tried your best to fix it and wiped your drive in case the Laptop is replaced...

Solution

August77

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Thank you for your help! I have tried resetting the laptop and well, I couldn't complete it because the display kept shutting off at the final stage of the process.
I called Toshiba and sent them my laptop. They replaced the systemboard and hard drive (it had some problems..) and so far everything works fine.