Saudi Arabia: GPU for new build, crazy prices

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I'll go with the Thermaltake V3 Black Edition. Saw the case myself, opened it up, studied it inside out. I really like it, found it sturdy enough. Side-panel did take a bit of force to take off, but I'll probably only ever open it up again if I'm cleaning or upgrading.

I looked carefully at more pictures of the Aerocool (I'm not allowed to un-box it). Has no stands for power supply air intake... bad for the power supply? I don't want to invert it and have it taking in all the hot air from inside the case. One Tom's Hardware review included a similar Aerocool case, rated near the bottom of the chart... not so sure about Aerocool anymore.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/antec-three-hundred-enermax-staray-cooler-master-elite-430,2707-16.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nzxt-gamma-rosewill-challenger-silverstone-precision,2723-16.html

All set and ready to start building. Here are all the exact parts I'll be buying:

i3 2100 $120
Gigabyte H61M-S2P-B3 $61
Radeon HD 5770 $80
RAM 4GB Kingston 1333 $24
WD 500 GB Cavier Blue $80
Lite-on DVD/RW $20
Thermaltake V3 BE $65
Corsair CX500 $75
Build + OS + software $0

Total: $525

One thing I might change is the motherboard. I'd like to have USB 3.0 and Sata 6Gbps for an SSD a few years down the road. My only option is this fairly overpriced MSI for $110, otherwise I have to fork out $180 for the least expensive Z77 board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130569

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
For the price, not bad, just that the HDD should have been 50% the price instead of the current price around the world :fou:

Argghhh indeed. HDD is the most expensive part of the build after the CPU. It will still take some time for them to go down to normal price... maybe not till next year.

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Thanks a bunch for all the help and patience fellas :) I'll let you know how the build goes. I've seen dozens of detailed videos about the whole process of building a computer. I'm pretty confident I can manage, looking forward to it!

Any last minute tips or advice? :)

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
One thing I forgot about. The Radeon 5770 I'll be getting is a used card. I'm genuinely afraid that it might already be damaged in some way (overclocking etc). I'm already considering a brand new Sapphire 7750 instead for $145.

How can I be sure that there is definitely nothing wrong with the 5770?

EDIT: I've found this motherboard and I'm very happy with the price :) USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps for an SSD later down the road. $72
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128540

If the 5770 doesn't throw errors in Furmark/MSI Kombustor or gaming, then it's fine. If it crashes at stock settings, then it's not fine. That's about all you can do to check.

That mobo sounds better considering you'll probably end up using both USB 3.0 and SATA III.

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Good, I'll do that then. I'm off to buy the parts tomorrow. I've read countless reviews here on Tom's Hardware, and seen dozens of new videos. I can only say that the best CPU choice for me is the G620. Sweet price at $58.

EDIT: On top of that, V3 BE has been reduced to $50!

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I went with the i3 2100 :) Build's almost done, just got to put in the HDD and get me a free copy of Windows 7. I've decided to bite the bullet and go ahead with a brand new Sapphire 6850. Hope I get my money's worth :)

Uhmm just something about stand-offs... do I have to use them on every hole that my motherboard fits on top of? Some of the holes are raised up by a bridge-like thing... do I have to use stand-offs on those as well... it would make the motherboard un-even...

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
The prices. I found a wholesaler who happens to sell at the lowest prices in Jeddah. The name of the place was thrown back and forth over the forums here. Finally found it!

i3 2100 : $112
Gigabyte B75M-D3V: $72
WD 500 GB: $72
4GB Kingston: $22
Lite-On DVD/RW: $17

Following came from other shops, since previous one didn't have them.
Thermaltake V3 BE: $50 !!!
Corsair CX500: $75

I've placed an order for the 6850, expecting it in 2 weeks time :) $210. Quite overpriced... but that's the least expensive around. I just got cold feet over the 5770... I don't want to run into complications with my first build.

I'm going to get the monitor in a few days time. Samsung 1080p 22", $138 which is surprisingly (and delightfully) cheap for this place!

Overall, my complete build with monitor works out to $768. Very pleased. I set myself a maximum budget of $800, glad it didn't go over it... good thing I decided not to skimp on the GPU and go for the used 5770.

You'll appreciate the BIG boost from a 5770 to a 6850. It'll let you play games the way they're meant to be seen, with all settings on Medium or High.

You'll also appreciate the i3-2100. With the hyper-threading, you'll never be bogged down by moderate multi-tasking. I wanted to recommend the i3-2100 when you said "G620", but I couldn't because $58 is hard to argue with when it's not my money.

A 5770 with a G620 would've been appropriate. You'll definitely notice the performance improvement, which will be well worth it if you use your computer regularly. Also, I don't know where you get computer games, but Steam and some other sites like Gamer's Gate have by far the best prices for me--periodically games only a year or so old are 75% off and that's when I buy all my games.

Typically you only need stand-offs where the case isn't raised. That's usually most of the holes, but not all of them. I'm not sure how your case is made, so there's a possibility that the case's raised locations could present a grounding issue. I don't think it will though.

Great price on the 22" Samsung, btw.

Can you list the info for that wholesaler? I want to be able to recommend it if someone else is building from Saudi Arabia (and hopefully Jeddah).

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Good thing I went with the i3 2100. I use my computer a lot. These 'raised holes are like a curved bridge extending from the case (they are part of the case), however the case only came with 2 standoffs... so I'm guessing that's all that's needed.

I think I'll try Steam... but for now, I'll be downloading games for free... you know what I mean :p

Wholesaler: System Computers, Jeddah, Khalid Bin Waleed Street, just opposite PC Time. The place can get really crowded. You have to shove your way through to order your parts. Best time would be 5 pm, that's when the place opens.

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Alright, so I used the stand-offs supplied with the case (2 only). The rest of the holes on the motherboard are secured against the rest of the holes on the case (which are raised above it as I explained). Perfect alignment with the I/O shield. System booted up fine and nothing unusual happened... so I guess I don't need to use anymore standoffs?

EDIT: Alright here's a picture of someone else's V3 case with the same issue. It seems that these "raised" things are called spacers, which act as stand-offs.

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/antigravity83/Thermaltake%20V3/PC151000.jpg

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
So, everything runs fine and we both run Jack Sparrow Windows 7 Ultimate?

:sarcastic:

All set, spent a heck load of time managing the cables :) Just discovered that my 10 year old PC doesn't have a DVD burner... :sarcastic: ...so I'll try and find someone kind enough to burn a copy for me. Still some time for the 6850, but can't wait to experience the great improvement in desktop performance! I'm fed-up of lags, hanging, crashes and the like :lol:

Once again, a big thank you to both of you guys for guiding me through the whole process of buying the parts. Shall we say, we've managed to somehow weed our way around the overpriced parts and get me a great build for the money!

EDIT: greghome haha I love your display picture! Keeps reminding me of Team Fortress 2, can't wait to experience it!

Use the Windows 7 to USB download tool to write an iso to USB: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool#ms_help_topics_at3

Just download an iso here.: http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

The buy a key at some point to be legal and genuine. I won't tell you how to crack it, but if that's what you're looking for, it's easy enough to find out.

Btw, your system can handle WAY more complicated games than TF2. If you get Steam, you'll be pleasantly surprised to see how good of games you can get for $5 or $7.50 on sale.

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah I was quite surprised by how small it turned out to be. Still, it left the lower hole open which allowed me to route the cables behind the case. Wouldn't have been possible with a full ATX board.

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
The Samsung 22" I was looking at had no DVI input. I went instead with the Benq G2420HD 24" 1080p LCD monitor! Was only $160! All other monitors with identical specs are over $200.

I'm just wondering, is there any difference between LCD and LED? I can still exchange it if I have to go with LED.

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Good. Glad I got it! Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit is up and running, got it done via USB boot drive. I've downloaded the latest motherboard drivers onto my old computer, will transfer to new one tomorrow morning... really satisfied, but tired as hell now want to sleep ahaha.

Any ideas for anti-virus software? I'll use Microsoft Security Essentials temporarily since its free. How about this one? http://www.gltsa.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=671

I typically use Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). The only catch is that your Windows has to be "genuine". If your Windows isn't activated, then I use Avast!, which is what I used to use before (MSE) was released.

I have NEVER seen an anti-virus software that's the equal of good free software. So I highly recommend not to buy that and just stick to MSE or Avast!.

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hi again guys! Typing this from the new desktop! My My! This 24" monitor is really big! Huge upgrade from my old CRT. It's a bit on the big side for desktop use, but perfect for my racing sims. I've lowered the resolution to 1366 x 768 for normal desktop use. Gaming will be 1080p.

I'm just impatiently waiting for the Sapphire 6850 so I can play all the latest titles. Overall I'm very happy that the entire build didn't cost anymore than $800.

Speaking of which... which games should I start trying out? Sorry to be a complete amateur on these things :D I'll mostly be using my racing sims, but I'd like to try out a few games.

DSC06155.jpg

I'd some point, I'll get a Logitech G27, but for now my current wheel does the job just fine.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't want 1920x1080 for normal desktop use, but I guess it's your choice. You'll get used to 24" for a desktop screen--it takes a while to get accustomed to turning your head to look at things on both sides.

Don't get too excited talking about software procurement that's not precisely legal. I think that can be frowned upon by the mods as I don't think Toms wants to host directions for how to do that stuff.

I don't use Kapersky--I've always gotten the impression that it's kinda slow. I guess it works though.

As far as games--get Steam to start out so that you can be ready to buy a game on a good sale if it comes up. Play Just Cause 2 because it's more fun for a little bit than anything else. It's got a free Steam demo. Get Metro 2033 if you want to make your system seem inadequate (good for justifying upgrades).

Critically acclaimed games that are lots of fun: Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City. If you haven't played Portal and Portal 2 along with Half Life 2 w/ Episodes 1 & 2, play those (although they'd have ran fine on your old machine).

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I think I'll download Steam, heard a lot of good things about it. I still have to get around to making my own credit card for that though... complicated procedure in Saudi as far as I know, credit cards are practically non-existent here, everyone uses cash.

I'm starting to get used to the much larger 24" screen. I mainly went for this because it was only $30 more than its 21.5" version. I have it at 1080p right now, just using the zoom function at 125% on Chrome and its fine now.

I've managed to finish Half-Life 2 on my old computer at 10 - 20 FPS throughout the entire game... I spent a whole year playing, seemed like it would never end! I've yet to try Portal 2 and just about everything else :D

As for upgrades, nope, this is as far as I'm going. I set myself a budget of $800 and I don't think its worth going any higher. If any, another 4GB RAM for $20 will do the job.

EDIT: I believe I'm the only sim-racer in Saudi Arabia, if not the entire Arabian Gulf! :D

If you've been playing HL2 on Low at 20 fps, you're in for a treat playing newer games on High at 40+ fps. Play Portal before you play Portal 2. That should help make it more satisfying.

I love Gran Tourismo and Forza. It's a shame they don't make them for PC. All the PC racing games I've played are all either Arcade or don't allow me to upgrade/customize my cars.