Say Goodbye to Adobe Flash Player for Android

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
So...the best question to as at this stage is how many services/sites that relied almost entirely on Flash for their content have actually transitioned to HTML5? All the HTML5 hardware/software support in the world doesn't mean jack if people are still going to be using Flash for their stuff.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Linux is open source too yet is very secure so your point is...If your cards are out in the open for everyone to scrutinize then it does not take long before there are no holes left to exploit.[/citation]
[citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]Open-source does not mean insecure. Quite the opposite really. Google Chrome (derived from the open source Crhromium project) has run 4 straight years without being compromised at a hacking contest. It was then compromised through the Flash plug-in.Ubuntu is leaps and bounds more secure than any Windows operating system, especially for the typical home user. There is practically no malware written for the system.The open source model allows for multiple programmers to look at the code, identify security flaws, and patch them faster than the proprietary model can even identify them. And as Adobe has made clear, it sometimes may not be in the best interest of a company to patch a piece of software when they can release a new version and force you to upgrade. *coughcoughCScough*[/citation]
First of all, no Chrome has been hacked on each and every hacking contest, but it was among last ones to get. Second, I agree that open source doesn't mean insecure, and proly know better than you how and why. Third, see kiddo, today all browsers have option to see page source, you wouldn't believe but you access it from right click menu. Oh and it always have it called something like open source, view source or similar.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
If Apple was a open platform this would have spelled doom for Android. But since this isn't the case this will prove to be nothing but a minor annoyance for a short time as people and developers will adapt.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

I was actually saying it's gone 4 years with a spotless record. Until Flash came along...

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
This really made my day. I remember well so many saying, "but I can do flash". Hahahaha. Not anymore. It's OK, you'll learn it is not all that with mobile devices anymore. HTML5, as Jobs said years ago, is the way to go. If you still HAVE to have flash, and retain your shitty battery life, you can always download an app to support it.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]I was actually saying it's gone 4 years with a spotless record. Until Flash came along...[/citation]

Here's the problem:

How are you suppose to secure your source codes for a HTML5 program so people can't copy-and-paste it away?

YOU CAN'T

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Sadly, they forget to mention that though HTML5 is universally supported on the majority of browsers, that doesn't mean that all of the content served by websites have converted to HTML5. My wife is constantly asking me to pull up sites she cannot load on her iPad.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]This really made my day. I remember well so many saying, "but I can do flash". Hahahaha. Not anymore. It's OK, you'll learn it is not all that with mobile devices anymore. HTML5, as Jobs said years ago, is the way to go. If you still HAVE to have flash, and retain your shitty battery life, you can always download an app to support it.[/citation]

Its not really the case, since Adobe is not dropping flash, they are just going to continue to do it on the PC (95% of the desktop market, Mac OSX is still less than 5%). They have just decided they don't want to have to keep testing on such a fast growing and changing ecosystem, PC's at this point are pretty stable with OS releases more than a year apart and hardware has been abstracted so low into the application stack that Flash doesn't really notice when there is different hardware.

I agree this is going to push HTML5 further faster, that's pretty clear.

As to flash being a large reason why people bought Android phones, I doubt Android sales have passed iPhone sales because of flash, it is more likely the good old $$$. Android phones are generally less expensive, as such they will sell more of them, good old economics 101. That is why Apple wants to sell past versions of the iPhone for $100 or less to keep a device in the price point that competes with Android.

G

Stupid Adobe. Gives Up On Linux And Android! Flash Sucks But We Still Kinda Need It.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
"The comments bring back memories of Steve Jobs' crusade against Flash on iOS. When asked why the iPad didn't support Flash, Jobs called the plugin buggy, and said that 'whenever a Mac crashes, more often than not it's because of Flash"

Funny. My pc doesn't crash becuase of flash and I am running vista too, must just be a 'Mac' thing.

Anyways html5 is a joke, every web browser implements html differently, and also how javascript can interact with html. (I knowm this due to programming and my javascript program doesn't work on every web browser and version).

Also people who use Flash on the websites for pc's wont make two versions of their website as its costly, so mobile users loose out and will spell trouble for Adobe as web developers will stop using flash and start using html5. More and more tablet/mobile users want to see the full website desktop users see, and the lines between desktop/mobile are starting to blur especially with windows 8 coming out.

Also its very expensive to buy Adoobe products to make flash, so Adobe owes it to the developers to make sure flash is cross platform compatibly. Especially since there is a shift from pc/laptop to mobile devices/tablets.

So Abobe is making a big mistake, and it will be its end. Now that Android is competing against iOS, Adobe could use it to its advantage, but its being stupid.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
html5 makes it easier so your code can be ripped off. So flash was more protected since it was compiled. html5/javascript is the source code, so in a way it has a more of a potential to be hacked/changed/copied.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
By the time all websites convert over to html5, your tablet will be obsolete, pulling FLash support means you wont get to enjoy your device and all flash content there is always out there. Not every web browser is created equal especially on tablets. SO once a website switches over to html5, no guarantee it will work on my tablet. Also by Adobe killing support, means no more updates, meaning people who needs to use flash are at risk thanks to Adobe. Flash support is a reason why i got my tablet and not Apple iPad, i guess Adobe doesn't realize what they are doing. In fact once flash becomes bad on tablets it will further tarnish Adobes name. At this point, its too soon to kill off flash.

Also one more reason not to upgrade to jelly bean ! Why wants to Apple iPad/IOs internet experience, I would rather have the full desktop experience not an Apple half backed experience.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
People were already realizing how much Android blows now anyway for anything more than mobile versions of web pages, so this isn't a significant loss.

mrmez

Splendid
Flash is a piece is sh!t, and it should have been put to death a long time ago.
If everyone would stop trying to keep it alive and bring HTML5 etc up to spec, there would be world peace, the environment would be saved and unicorns would return.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]eternalkp[/nom]flash sucks? please I am not sure what android is doing. this sucks for a lot of peoplei love adobe flash. believe it or not, a lot of websites are still supporting flashand i don't think everyone will convert to html5 soon.i love how apple users quickly jumps in and credits apple for this nonsensethis is a step backward.i see some cool new features on my cousin's google galaxy nexus with jeally bean but i don't think i will upgrade my galaxy s3 to jelly bean when the day comes[/citation]
Completely agree. Full flash support was the reason why some of us opted for Android in the first place. And just as you said, there STILL is a lot of flash sites on the web. The problem with Flash´s insecurity comes from the wrong perception (Apple). If ppl used Flash for what it was intended then there AREN´T any security problems NOR crashes. My own website www.manutec.co is Flash. And I can NOT do the same with HTML5. I tried converting but most o/t things aren´t possible. So I will NOT convert that site to non-flash.

To Google: Flash is used for a lot more then streaming youtube-crap!

Anyway if smartphones get as dumb as featurephones where in 2005 then don´t expect ME to spend 600 bucks on a plastic crappy chinese android slab. F U Google.

theabsinthehare

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]epdm2be[/nom]Completely agree. Full flash support was the reason why some of us opted for Android in the first place. And just as you said, there STILL is a lot of flash sites on the web. The problem with Flash´s insecurity comes from the wrong perception (Apple). If ppl used Flash for what it was intended then there AREN´T any security problems NOR crashes. My own website www.manutec.co is Flash. And I can NOT do the same with HTML5. I tried converting but most o/t things aren´t possible. So I will NOT convert that site to non-flash. To Google: Flash is used for a lot more then streaming youtube-crap!Anyway if smartphones get as dumb as featurephones where in 2005 then don´t expect ME to spend 600 bucks on a plastic crappy chinese android slab. F U Google.[/citation]

Here's a list of Flash security vulnerabilities. You show me how things like buffer overflows can be attributed to "perception."
http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-53/product_id-6761/Adobe-Flash-Player.html

Terrible design issues aside, your site is incredibly simplistic. You have two links which each bring up a set of five links, and four of those five links play short slideshows. If you can't figure out how to do that, when people can write entire applications in HTML ( http://mudcu.be/sketchpad/ for reference ) then that's a problem with YOU, not with HTML.

Tell you what, I'll help you! Here's a set of tutorials, and I'll even give you a hint: The solution involves animation and tracking the mouse coordinates. http://www.html5canvastutorials.com/advanced/html5-canvas-start-and-stop-an-animation/

Hey look, Adobe even made this sweet animation tool for people like you who can't figure HTML5 out on your own. http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/farewell_flash_adobe_launches_html5_web_animations_tool_adobe_edge.php
And, it works in an incredibly similar way to Flash! :O

Also, did you even read the article? One, Google doesn't own Android; it's developed by the Open Handset Alliance, of which Google is only one member. Two, ADOBE is choosing to discontinue Flash on mobile, so saying "F U Google" is silly since the decision has nothing to do with them.

I try not to be so critical and condescending, but your post can be summed up as "I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO THIS SIMPLE THING, THEREFORE HTML5 SUCKS," and "GOOGLE I'M MAD AT YOU DESPITE THE FACT YOU HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT I'M MAD ABOUT!"

theabsinthehare

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]shqtth[/nom]html5 makes it easier so your code can be ripped off. So flash was more protected since it was compiled. html5/javascript is the source code, so in a way it has a more of a potential to be hacked/changed/copied.[/citation]

You know you can save flash files and decompile them, presenting you with all the code, right? Woah, there went all your security.

icemelted

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
To be honest, maybe Flash really belongs on iOS, since it is proprietary and closed, where HTML5 belongs with Google since Android is open. Both ways seems to have their merits, but birds of a feather should ... But I guess Apple and Stevie are really hypocrites, unless there are plans to "open" iOS (not holding breath for this one)

Hspito

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]STEVE JOBS WAS RIGHT AGAIN! Flash sucks on mobile. Apple was right, like usual.Android is now copying Apple yet again![/citation]

LOL, Why are you getting so many thumbs down? you are telling the truth.
He was right as usual, and they are copying AGAIN!. People here are just Apple haters/Android fanbois. LOL, now lets see how many I get.

theabsinthehare

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]icemelted[/nom]To be honest, maybe Flash really belongs on iOS, since it is proprietary and closed, where HTML5 belongs with Google since Android is open. Both ways seems to have their merits, but birds of a feather should ... But I guess Apple and Stevie are really hypocrites, unless there are plans to "open" iOS (not holding breath for this one)[/citation]

Apple's problem was not with the openness of Flash, their problem is that it's buggy and full of security holes. They couldn't give a damn if it is open or not.

[citation][nom]hspito[/nom]LOL, Why are you getting so many thumbs down? you are telling the truth. He was right as usual, and they are copying AGAIN!. People here are just Apple haters/Android fanbois. LOL, now lets see how many I get.[/citation]

He's getting thumbs down because this is a decision being made by Adobe, not Android. Also, Android is not a company, so it can't make any decisions; it's software developed by an Alliance of companies called "The Open Handset Alliance."

I love Apple, but it's people like you that make everyone think that all Apple fans are retards. Try reading articles before commenting, and then actually spend some time thinking about what you're going to say and make sure it's correct before you say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.