Say what you want -- ATi -- Rules

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Make sure you run villiagemark also. HeHE. Also 32 bit results in 3dmark2000 would represent more on high quality gaming that the Radeon is ment for as well as for the GTS II.

G

after all this crap on this topic, i would support rcf84 in a way to prove nvidia is a no brainer. First, nvidia came out with the GF2 Ultra. The card got good frame rates into the hundreds spot. But have bad visual quality and 2d acceleration. All of you might say that it might have a edge over radeon because of its higher frame rate.
Let me ask you a question. CAN YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 90FPS AND 120 FPS ???????? The most probable anwser is no. Radeon have reached frame rates that are smooth and playable and yet have good 2d and visual quality. Nvidia did nothing but vamp on the fps. Who needs 120fps anyways???? what is the point of making it go faster and faster when you won't even see the difference. But visual quality, you can defently see the result of more well blended texture.

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Yeah , maybe !
But as Griz said, you wouldn´t have time to notice the difference if you´re on a fragg fest!
I would like to see your face apreciating the surroundings
and turning to see you chareater eating a rocket!

And think about!
In the future, when the frames are down to 50-60 fps, the Nvida will be fine, but the Radeon will be lagging with 20-30 fps !
Would like to see you playing with that speed!
You could even count the frames one by one, just to pass the time! :-D

Better burn in Hell with some company than freeze in Heaven all alone

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You've obvoiusly never used a card made my nVidia. They don't have "Bad visual quality", as you claim. They have WONDERFUL visual quality, it's very amazing. Just not quite as sharp as the Radeon, and it's so little of a difference it's barely noticable. Please try something by nVidia before you go saying how bad it is.

-----------------
Satan Clara...... 'Nuff said.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well consider this, as the complexity (more polygons) and textures go up (larger and more as in 3 per object) the Radeon design (hyper Z, 3 texture pipeline) takes less of a hit than the Nvidia Geforce II series. So the Radeon performance won't dip as much as the Geforce II series. So both will probably be just as playable. If any game duplicates what villiagemark throws at a video card (no developer in there right mind would in the near future) then the Radeon would exceed the Geforce II series. Relistically villiagemark doesn't represent next generation games as far as I see but does show the potential of the Radeon and its design. Games in the future will eventually exceed what villiagemark throws at a card (allot of overdraw) by then we will probably all have different video cards anyways and I will be fighting for Nvidia and LoadKaos may be fighting for ATI, who knows.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Sharkey did a 2d comparison and here is what they came up with, good read:

<A HREF="http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/articles/super_he_video_shootout_10-00/8.shtml" target="_new">http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/articles/super_he_video_shootout_10-00/8.shtml</A>

<b><font color=blue>ATI Rules!</font color=blue></b> :tongue: (This is childish isn't it? but true?)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 02/12/01 02:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I hope you are right about FSAA, that is good technology that 3dfx developed. They probably had a more advance design for it in the makings. Hope, hope, hope anyways Nvidia could benefit from that technology as well as everyone else. Plus didn't 3dfx have HSR technology also and did they not buy out a company that was doing tile base rendering? So the treasure chest may have indeed been stacked full.

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
You bet it was!
Why would you think NVidia bout 3DFx out?

To get rid of the lawsuits?

Oh yeah! That too!

Better burn in Hell with some company than freeze in Heaven all alone

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Truthfully I really dont know, I tend to think it is was more of a fast legal solution. If Nvidia fails to take advantage of the outstanding talent that was at 3dfx then Nvidia losses. How do you like the 2d comparison that Sharkey did above. Looks like the Radeon kick some there.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 02/12/01 07:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
i dont think nvidia incorporated too much 3Dfx stuff into the NV20, but in the cards after nv20 i think there will be much more.

-----------------
Satan Clara...... 'Nuff said.

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
Actually, if you read the nVidia interview on Sharkey's, you'll see that there isn't any 3dfx in the NV20. He was saying it would be a year from now at least. Unfortunate but not suprising.

owais

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
I also got a few reasons of my own. I am not a MAC user but I do know that Nvidia kicked ATI in to face by taking over the MAC video cards. That might be a little pain. But there is more. The driver situation. Ive never had an ATI card function properly without updating drivers. That adds a bit more pain. Especially to the support. Besides that, Geforce2 rocks Radeon in about every Benchmark. These aren't my benchmarks however, these happen to be done by the reliable Tom's Hardware. So you tell me, who is the winner?? Nvidia perhaps?

G

Grizzly1, admit the fact i gave up my old Elsa Gladiac(GF2 GTS) for a radeon. Because of dvd support, EMBM, 4 matrix vetex skinnning, and many more. EMBM is a good topic. Nvidia doesn't have it their cards. New games like Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Sacrafice really benifit from EMBM.

G

Well Macs suck, so that argument is flushed right down the toilet :eek:)

-AMD's are not for the faint of heart... Intels? those are for newbies :eek:)-

G

hehe, I just bought a ATI Radeon 32MB DDR with the fan(on chip) and theatre DVD decoder chip missing... DOH!

G

I got it off of www.newegg.com for 85 dollars, free shipping..

think I still have a 5 yr warranty?

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
ahmmmm.....wellll..y..ou..see. WoadKaos, Griezly is going to eat me alive here about service but read below

<font color=blue><b>LE Radeon's, those that do not have a fan on the Radeon heatsink are not made by ATI in Canada.</font color=blue></b> Check out the below link and you will find out that ATI do sell chipsets and these special boards are made in China. Kinda like most stuff at Wal-Mart (Sorry I had to add that in.) Anyways the LE boards seem to be working just fine and the overclocking ability seem to be better than a regular 32mb Radeon board. That is once a fan is added to the Radeon chip heatsink.

<font color=purple>....According to ATI representative, this graphics accelerator isn’t an ATI product at all. As you can see from the photos which appeared on AKIBA, there is no ATI logo on these cards. The cards are distributed and supported by Althon Micro Company.
</font color=purple>
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/#981996601" target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/#981996601</A>