Say what you want -- ATi -- Rules

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

Wtf, so did someone steal/buy the radeon cards and make it to be their own?

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Nope, ATI sold the Radeon chips to who knows who in China, manufacturer built a board around the Radeon chip. Kinda like what Nvidia does. Well I have to update my mobo.

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
So then it would be safe to assume that you will no longer be trying to compare nVidia's and ATI's "support"? (since you have now shown that ATI, in fact, does NOT support all of its chips) :wink: Glad we can bring things back to an apples to apples comparison.

Quote 1
As for support, Nvidia has none (besides endless number of driver combinations). Nvidia makes chips, cardmakers make the graphic cards. Your mileage will vary with Nvidia chipset cards for support between each manufacturer. Your toll free numbers if they have one will vary. ATI toll free number hasn't changed in years. ATI you can email and usually get a response back in two weeks (maybe they don't perform miracles but they do try).
Quote2
Nope, ATI sold the Radeon chips to who knows who in China, manufacturer built a board around the Radeon chip. Kinda like what Nvidia does.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I guess I have to eat some crow here. Surprising how things change. Still Nvidia doesn't have support, because it is the manufacturers that uses the Nvidia chipsets that provide the support, which could vary tremendously. So now it looks like ATI will allow their chipsets to be bought by other manufacturers. Mayber STB (Once owned by 3dfx) will start producing there excellent cards again but this time around with a Radeon chip on it. I had a Nvidia Riva128 chipset card from STB which worked ok before I updated to an ATI Rage Fury. As for the support for these non ATI produced cards I have no idea if it will be good or bad. Maybe better than ATI, maybe not. Now I really need to update my mobo.

G

Yes noko, update away, I see you've got it dilivered, make sure to let me know how it works out, also are you going to try and boost it up to 1ghrz?

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
:smile: h b :smile: y, :smile: h b :smile: y, up and running at 933mhz in Winme. Took me about 2hrs to remove my old motherboard, install the IWILL KK266 and configure WinMe. No device driver conflicts in Device Manager, ram at 133mhz, CL 2, 4-bank interleave. Radeon in AGP 4x (first time for me, KA7 was never stable enough.)No problems so far. CPU voltage 1.92v, :eek: uch!!! Temp of CPU 34C idle and 40C when fully loaded :cool: , impressive :lol: . Coppermine thunderbird runs alot cooler than my slot A Classic Athlon even at a higher voltage. Will try a higher cpu speed later after I configure W2k and I am sure everything is stable.

G

awesome! I might go for that yet, just have to do a price check on my other option.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Burnt the oil lamp last nite. Took about 2 hours to configure W2k for my new setup. The built in sound chip is better than I thought. Supports four speakers, Direct Sound 3D & A3D interfaces with a fairly decent rack system. After configuring I did some serious testing to see how stable everything was. At 133FSB, CPU multiple of 7 (933mhz) WinMe & W2k would boot fine, VilliageMark would run but 3dMark2000 would last about 2-5 seconds before it kicked itself out. Plus I had a few system halts (W2k) and blue screen of death (WinMe) while configuring. Obviously not stable, went to a conservative 800mhz and everything was stable. So the tweaking and allnight testing began. Final maximum stable setup for both W2K and WinMe: FSB 140mhz, CPU voltage 1.92 volts, multiplier of 6.5, CAS3, AGP2x/4x Radeon was stable either way, max stable cpu freq = 910mhz. A little shy of 933mhz plus in a funky way. What was really surprising to me is that 3dMark2000 in W2k went up over 1000pts compared to WinMe 400pts. W2K is within 7% of WinMe in 3dMark2000 (D3D) now. I am very impressed with that but somewhat disappointed in max overclock potential. The upgrade went smooth, I shouldn't have to reload anything now, which obviously I am very glad. Maybe I will do a small review here in several parts. When I mean stable that means 3dmark2000 in 32bit mode will run 3 times without a hiccup or more, ATI Radeon ARK running for at least an hour afterwards. At 910mhz it passed both in WinMe and W2k. Will contact GenX about results to see how they reply. Overall I am pretty satisfied especially over Win2K improvement. 85 bucks for a 910mhz capable Thunderbird isn't to bad. Temperature with the Alpha cooler never got above 42c while testing (cpu at 100%). Obviously the Alpha cooler was made to cool Thunderbirds 1200mhz+. If I had one more voltage increment, 1.95 vice 1.92 I am sure 933mhz would be stable.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 02/14/01 03:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

JustPlainJef

Splendid
Feb 20, 2001
Say what you want, but after he spent WEEKS looking for drivers and updates and trying 98SE and WinME and 2K, Test Drive 6 performs worse on my roommates Athlon 650 + Radeon than on my K6/2-450 and 16M VOODOO BANSHEE!! He has to turn off most of the effects to get it to run. High Quality, if you ask me. NOT. I may trade in my V7700 I just ordered if I have any problems (I doubt it), but after seeing the hell he went through, I will never order an ATI product unless someone REALLY impresses me. This is the 3rd ATI he had that wasn't worth squat.

What's a signature? Oh, those words that show up after all my comments? I don't need one of those!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Uhmmmm, ooooooh, you caught me. Just couldn't get one by you. Well I never had a 16M VOODOO BANSHEE!! to test. I sure wish they included that on this round up of cards and it would have kick some serious butt too:

<A HREF="http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=5000181&keyword_highlight=Radeon" target="_new">http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=5000181&keyword_highlight=Radeon</A>

<font color=blue><b>ATI RULES!!!!! :tongue: </font color=blue></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 02/20/01 08:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

JustPlainJef

Splendid
Feb 20, 2001
I didn't say that my Voodoo Banshee kicked ass... I was saying that it is pretty pathetic when the meager Banshee beats a Radeon. What good is a video card if you can't get it to work right?

What's a signature? Oh, those words that show up after all my comments? I don't need one of those!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well if it could beat a Radeon then it could beat a hell of alot of other cards with that game too. Anyways what happen to your friends Radeon? Has He tried Porshe Unleashed? Awesome game! Also frankly if a video card doesn't work right then it is time to exchange it, get money back, fix the problem if it is fixable or just plain buy a different video card. Then again your next card may have the same problems or worst. If you look at any dedicated site for any given brand of video cards you will always find problems being discussed from installation to games not working. So someone has to decide how much trouble is enough before returning card etc.

TRENDING THREADS