BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
I just bought an SB Live 5.1 for dirt cheap. Anyway, here's my system: Athlon XP 1800+, Geforce FX 5700 Ultra, 512 MB RAM, Windows 98SE. When I installed the card Windows automatically installed the devices. Even still, I used the installation CD as instructed. Everything was working fine until the dreaded gameport installation came along. In the device manager I get the exclamation point next to its entry, stating the device could not be loaded by some other file. During the installation process I was prompted several times for a file I could not find on the installation CD as prompted to search. I can't remember the exact name of it, and heaven forbid I write a note down. I do recall the file had words leading me believe it was joystick/gameport oriented.

I disabled the device since I don't intend to play DOS games and I use a USB gamepad anyway. I doubt it's hurting anything, but it annoys me. How could I reinstall that device? If I remove it and reboot, Windows will find the old entry and I'll have the same problem. Also, how do I do a clean reinstall of the device?

Thanks in advance. BTW Creative has the worst installation programs ever. I think the file it needed was on its own damn disc.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are joystick files on the Windows 98 CD which you probably needed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
I thought I tried to use that disc as well. I assume they are in .cab files, and I'm not sure the installer would look in an unopened one.

How could I do a clean reinstall?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Clean reinstall of the entire system? Boot off the CD, choose command prompt with CD support,
1.) Type "d:" enter (assuming the top of the screen says your CD ROM is D:)
2.) Type "cd/win98" enter
3.) Type "format" enter, perform format

Now, the BEST thing to do is copy the Win98 directory to the formatted drive and instal from there so you don't need the CD any more
3a.) Type "cd.." enter, to get back to the D:\ prompt
3b.) Type "md C:\Win98" enter, to make a directory for putting your files in.
3c.) Type "Copy Win98 c:\win98" enter, to copy the files from from the CD directory to the new one.
3d.) Type "C:" enter, to change to the C:\ prompt.
3e.) Type "cd c:\win98" enter, to change to the C:\Win98 directory.

4.) Type "setup" enter.

Oh, and don't use quotation marks, I just used them to separate what you type from everything else I said.

If you install from the directory on the C: drive, Windows will automatically look there every time it needs a file from the Windows CD, rather than have you switch back and forth from driver CD to Windows CD.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
Sorry I wasn't clear. I actually meant of the SB Live. If I just uninstall the drivers, Windows detects the card as an SB Live. Then I don't get to go through the install process and fix the missing file issue.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If there's any files missing there should be a ! mark next to the device in Device Manager, and it should allow you to update or re-instal the drivers for that device only.