SB Live trouble shooting

G

Hi, I'm installing an SBLive X-Gamer 5.1 on an ABIT KT7-RAID mobo, 1 GHz Thunderbird running Win98se. I can't get it to install, what troubleshooting steps should I take?

When I boot the computer for the first time w/the card in PCI slot 5, it recognizes a new PCI device and wants the driver. Per the manual, I cancelled that because you install the driver from CD thru their setup process. Then a second window pops up saying a new PCI item was detected (the sound card is the only thing I added). I cancelled that as well. Then I run the SB Live setup, and it gave me BSOD about halfway thru. Now the computer won't boot to Windows, it just gives me a blank screen in the desktop color after it finishes with the Win98 splash screen. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
take the card out and boot into windows.
run the drivers cd first
you will get more than one hardware found because the card is more than one thing- it's a sound card, a joystick controller and a couple other things.
Then reinstall the card and anything that comes up say ok to. Then if that doesn't work reinstall the cd again without rebooting first. Then reboot and all should be well.

"Are you saying that I can dodge bullets?"

G

Read you ABIT KT7-Raid manual, it clearly states that PCI slot 5 is shared with the HPT370 Raid Controller and may cause conflicts with certain devices. Move it to another slot, or disable the ATA-100 RAID controller within the BIOS.

G

DOH! Thanks. I guess it doesn't count if you RTFM but then forget. I got it working, thanks for your responses.

G

Oh, how I love a happy ending.

:)

The only stupid questions are the unasked questions.