Scan computers RMA rejected my motherboard, bent pins on CPU socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepcgamer792

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
Hi guys.
I'm sure you heard this befor with previous complaints with Scan Computers & the CPU socket with bent pins??
Let me tell you about mine with Scan Computers....

I purchased an Asus Prime Z370 A motherboard on July 27th 2018 & paid with PayPal..
Anyways I didn't start testing the Asus motherboard till a good 4 weeks ago as I was just buying the last few components .

After the 1st boot & in to the bios I had screen tearing from the onboard IGPU while I was trying to set the bios up.
Then I installed Windows 10 & the screen tearing got even worst from the onboard IGPU ...even after I updated all the drivers.

Then the motherboard had another issue with a my GTX 970 GPU on the PCIe bus lane so Win 10 would not install the driver.

I contacted Scan where they told me to send it back for RMA

I packed everything checked everything for any damage which there was none & I packed the motherboard very well!!!

I sent the motherboard back on the 19th October 2018....They received it on the 22nd.
On the 23rd October 2018 they messaged me and I am told my RMA has been rejected due to physical damage to the board...WTF how did this happen??

They added pictures to my account showing me 3 pins had been bent on the CPU socket & track damage.
Scan told me they was going to return it back to me if I didn't sign there disclaimer giving my consent from them to send my motherboard back to Asus & Scan would foot the repair bill or replacement!! ...Really ?? Scan would foot the bill & blame me for the damage?? Hmmmmm…

My next port of call was Asus & contact them since I signed Scan's Disclaimer form & that it was in Asus hands now...

I contacted Asus & explained that Scan claimed my motherboard was damaged due to physical damage somehow!! I asked Asus if they have my board & will they be able to offer me a replacement since Scan told me it up to Asus....

Here is the 1st email contact I got from Asus reguarding my board
Thank you for contacting ASUS Support!
We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

About your case, I would like to inform you that the repair will take 30 days maximum after the board it's delivered to the repair center.
We cannot offer you a replacement. As part of the sale process the retailer accepted that they would control all returns/replacement on behalf of ASUS for the duration of the warranty. They should be able to sort this out for you. ASUS has no other policy on these devices; We cannot replace or repair these devices.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us again.

Have a lovely day!

WOW!! Scan should have given me a replacement & sort this out?? And Asus cannot replace or repair these devices ??

Here is a further 2nd email I received from Asus as I asked them should I be asking for Scan replacement

Thank you for contacting ASUS Support!
We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

As your motherboard it's in the repair center the tech guys will try to fix it for you.
If you want a replacement unit you have to discuss this with your reseller.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us again.

At this point I was confused with Asus stating one then,then something else on the next ,example they cannot replace or repair theses devices & next it's in the repair center there the tech guys!!

Asus also told me some models may not be able to be replaced or repaired!! :(

I messaged Scan on the 2nd November 2018 to an update but I got the usual many complain about with .....We will contact you very soon!!
Peace.

thepcgamer792

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015

Unfort I did not. I trusted Scan once before with a faulty motherboard in which they found to be faulty but just didn't think or expect this to happen.

USAFRet

Titan

Both Scan and Asus are saying that you broke the motherboard. And will not cover it, unless you pay for the fix/replacement.

bignastyid

Titan
Bent pins could happen in shipping. But the thermal grease splattered in and around the socket not so much. That first image suggests the motherboard and CPU were mishandled causing the damage and thermal grease mesh which is likely why they have rejected the RMA. Not sure what they are looking at in the 2nd but the first is enough for me to see why it was rejected.

thepcgamer792

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015

Correction ,,,Scan have said they will pay for the fix/replacement if you saw from my original post!! So now it makes me wonder who really damaged my mobo!!

lets play both sides of the coin here. first off with scan are the photos from his mb, dont see the mb serial number is the images. could be any spare board they can use to take an image from and say the mb was damaged. 2. scan should have by law sent the mb back to you for you to send it into asus not them. also they should have said the mb was damaged in shipping as those caps that are missing take a lot of force to rip off the mb. i had rma mb that were crushed in shipping or flexed so bad parts were broken off by the shipper. if your within 30 days do a claim with the shipper. conatc asus and scan have them send you the mb back unpaired. if you used a credit card see if they have extra coverage for damage goods.if you used a credit card you can do a charge back for bad goods.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Frequently, companies won't accept *any* RMA if the socket cover isn't properly replaced. By not taking the proper safety step before shipment, the company now has a very good argument that the fault wasn't there when you bought it, which tends to reduce your options. It's also a good reason to not buy parts that you don't plan to use for months; you have the most consumer rights within the 30-day window after purchase. At a minimum, if it's a part that you're not using for a long time, you still need to inspect it as best you can for physical damage.

I suspect that talking with your credit card company will be the most helpful (though ethically, I would only go this route if you know for a fact that those pins weren't bent by you). I also would not ever buy parts in a situation in which a third-party (Scan in this case) takes responsibility for the warranty rather than the manufacturer.

romirez

Distinguished

-Saw iGPU glitches from bent pins in my office many times.

-PCIE controller is in the CPU, so bent pins may prevent gpu working at all or limit from 16x mode to 8x-4x-1x modes. But driver should be working at any modes without problems.

thepcgamer792

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015

Asus told me 2 conflicting stories so I had to ask.
Far as I know Scan sent my mobo to Asus to be repaired!!
What the normal wait time on motherboards such as this to be repaired???

Has anyone else on this forum had an Asus motherboard socket replacement??

Share you experiences please.

thepcgamer792

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015

Like I said Scan claims they have sent my mobo to Asus but i'm not hopefull as its been 4 weeks now & since then I have been in contact with the CAB here is what they told me …..
Anything over 28 days is deemed as too long by Trading Standards & the retailer will either have to replace it or give you your money back by consumer law.
The law says the repair/replacement must be within a "reasonable" time and without "significant inconvenience" to the consumer.

Citizens Advice Bureu
Your rights and obligations:
Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, any goods provided by a trader to a consumer should be of satisfactory quality, which means they should be free from fault, last a reasonable amount of time, do what they’re designed to do, and be safe.

You may be able to seek redress from the trader if the goods are not of a satisfactory quality.
You could look to request a repair or replacement in the first instance; any repair or replacement should be provided free of charge, within reasonable time, and not cause a significant inconvenience.
You only have to allow the trader one attempt at repairing or replacing the goods.

So far Scan have lived up to this all mention above, abit to giving me any kind of replacement!!

If a repair or replacement is unsuccessful, cannot be done free of charge, within reasonable time or would cause significant inconvenience you could then request to either exercise your final right to reject the goods for a refund or, a price reduction on what you’ve paid for the goods. The trader may deduct for usage taking into account the amount of time you’ve had possession of the goods.

At this rate I feel I might have to buy another motherboard if so??
This is where i will have to take action too as it is now unacceptable from Scan!!

Any refund should be provided within 14 days of the refund being agreed and via the same payment method.
The burden of proof is on the trader; therefore they would need to prove that the goods are of a satisfactory quality or that the fault is down to fair wear and tear, misuse, accidental damage or neglect.

You may be able to claim consequential losses; these would typically be any losses you have suffered as a direct result of the trader supplying goods that are not of a satisfactory quality. You would need to provide evidence of any losses you have incurred and any losses would need to be kept as low as possible.

As you made this payment via PayPal, we would suggest contacting them to let them know about your complaint. We would recommend you check their terms and conditions to see if they have any obligation to offer any redress.

Your next steps:

We would suggest that you contact the trader and request a copy of their formal complaints procedure and follow this. If the trader does not have a complaints procedure, we recommend you send a letter outlining the reasons for your complaint.

We would suggest setting a reasonable deadline for a response, keeping a copy of any correspondence for your records and sending any letters by recorded delivery; that way the mail will be tracked and signed for.
As part of your complaint we would recommend you ask the trader if they are a member of an Alternative Dispute Resolution scheme (ADR) or, if they’re not, would they be willing to use a non-membership based scheme.
ADR schemes are independent bodies that offer services such as arbitration or mediation if your complaint is still unresolved after following the trader’s complaints process.

What we'll do:
We will notify Trading Standards of information you have provided, there is no commitment for them to contact you directly, and they will only contact you if they deem it necessary. Whilst this does not help you resolve your dispute, it gives Trading Standards vital intelligence on how a trader is conducting their business.
If you would like to discuss this further please call .
Kind regards

thepcgamer792

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
I have now taken this up with Paypal!!
I have ended any contact with Scan & there terrible customer service!!
I'm extremely unhappy with Scan & there negligence to solve this & just simply let someone else like Asus to do there dirty work!!
I have spoken to Asus on this matter & from what they told me its up to the Retailer to offer the replacement!!

According to Scan they offered the free repair as a gesture of good will!!...Instead of the free repair then why didn't they just give me a replacement as a gesture of good will?

Just cant believe I simply returned my board back to them in good faith with 2 issues for RMA & yet the board was somehow damaged on the CPU socket!! ..oh well!! :(

thepcgamer792

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
I would like to thanks the guys for there chime ins on this thread with Scan as this comes to an end.
Paypal came through for me with my struggle with Scan.
It goes to show that anyone who has the same issue I had with Scan its best to cover yourself with either a credit card or Paypal!!
Take photo's where possible too as Scan's RMA is pretty bad & always blaming the customer due to physical damage,so bear this in mind.

Its been a nightmare to say the least.
Paypal went in my favour despite what evidence Scan had reguarding my motherboard!!
Now I can finish my gaming build...finally !!

Again cheers guys

i just sent my mobo back because of a corrupted BIOS making POST unviewable and BIOS inaccessible. Before i boxed it, i had a good friend witness while i took close up shots of the pins showing them without a bent pin.

in case folks are unaware, here in the US, if a vendor advertises nationally (and the internet qualifies) the jurisdiction for any dispute is in the buyer's home state - and that gives the purchaser a big advantage if you have to turn to small claims court for resolution.

in the event of a dispute with an out of state vendor, knowing the above will prevent it ever making it to court, once the vendor's atty explains to him the exposure - it's cheaper to satisfy the customer than pay 3x the amount in atty's fees and loose anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.