Scanjet 3300c, PrecisionScan LT and Windows XP SP2

After installing sp2 on my xp-box i can't scan anymore. I've the 2117
Error-Message. So i called the german hp-techsupport and they gave me
the solution. Go to security-center -> firewall-settings -> exceptions
-> program and choose PrecisionScan LT. Close the window with okay and
try starting the software. After some seconds the scanner should start
to scan.

Hope this will help you.

Holger,

Did this actually work for you? I have the same model scanner and am
getting the same error message you reported. Following these steps did not
fix my scanner.

Any other suggestions?

Paul

"Holger Winkler" <mail@winkler-digital.de> wrote in message
> After installing sp2 on my xp-box i can't scan anymore. I've the 2117
> Error-Message. So i called the german hp-techsupport and they gave me
> the solution. Go to security-center -> firewall-settings -> exceptions
> -> program and choose PrecisionScan LT. Close the window with okay and
> try starting the software. After some seconds the scanner should start
> to scan.
>
> Hope this will help you.

Hallo Paul,

this works for me fine. Have installed the sp2 first an then the
Scanning Software? I made a complete and clean installation of my
system. There are to many fragments left in the registry when you only
uninstall the scanner-software.

Holger

Hogler,

It seems that the problem was related to the Microsoft Service called
"Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)". If I disabled that, it would work fine.

I remove the HP Software entire and removed the driver from the machine. I
then plugged in the scanner and let Windows detect the new device. It did
properly detect the scanner and it found a driver (appears to be a MS
driver). It works fine in Paintshop Pro, though it seems to timeout under
the Microsoft Office Document Imagine program. Hitting scan a second time
gets it going.

It's not perfect, I guess. I either have to disable WIA, whatever that's
for, or live with Microsoft's Document Imaging program complain. Since I
don't use the latter and I prefer to not disable a service for no known
reason, I'll just stick with the way it is now.

I might go back and install the HP tools (not the driver) one day when I
have more time to play, but today is not that day ;-)

In any case, it seems that HP needs to provide some updated tools for XP
SP2. I can clearly see there is a conflict here.

> Hallo Paul,
>
> this works for me fine. Have installed the sp2 first an then the
> Scanning Software? I made a complete and clean installation of my
> system. There are to many fragments left in the registry when you only
> uninstall the scanner-software.
>
> Holger

Hello Paul

i doesn't disable the WIA-Service. I talked with the support of hp an
the workaround works perfect even with the wia-service enabled.

Holger