Scanning and repairing drive - 100% everytime on reboot - related to hard drive issue?

dmcguckin

Reputable
Dec 1, 2017
I have been getting a message every reboot "Scanning and repairing drive (\\?\Volume{576ea0c1-0000-0000-0000-30f99c000000}) - 100% complete
I've entered that address into explorer, and an error comes up that says the drive is not formatted.
My operating drive ( C: ) - has 4 partitions on it, and one of them is un allocated with 70GB on it.
I can't do anything with it in Partition Magic, and when I try to format it in Windows Disk Management I get the error " A Device attached to the system is not functioning"
When I've tried to do a system backup on that drive with EaseUS - I can only do a sector by sector.

88k9L0A.jpg

Rlv93Cv.jpg

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I would suggest scanning the drive with the diagnostics tool available on the drive vendors website (WD, Seagate etc).

If it's happening every time, it definitely sounds like the drive is failing.
As you can only backup sector by sector, it sounds like there's a decent number of bad sectors on there - likely beyond the point where those can be simply be filed as "bad" and not used.