Question Scanning and repairing drive C at boot time is stuck at ...... with no percentage progress showing ?

Jan 14, 2022
few days ago I woke up today to my PC completely shutdown, when I booted it up I was greeted with scanning and repairing drive (C)... on the widows loading screen. I tried searching for help on you tube videos and everyone is talking about there loading screen being at a certain percent but mine isn't. My loading screen is stuck at' ... with no percentage or anything. Also I am unable to enter safe mode because anytime i try to do anything with windows it will bring me to the loading screen and eventually the ''scanning and repairing drive (C) ... will appear on my screen. Is there any way I can bypass the scan and use my computer?

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, it is a handy boot drive

so chkdsk is stuck at startup.

wonder if I can get you into safe mode
boot from usb
at screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
loads pc into blue menu

while you here, could copy info off C: you need to save
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd
now after doing that in Command prompt
Enter these BOLD commands and press ENTER after each.

(Note the colon after C with no space; then the spaces which are important - one after T before / & T before { & } before B & Y before L)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY

EXIT

You are back to the boot screen -> Shutdown the computer.

Boot back up and "immediately" start tapping F8 (That means power button - then F8).

Hopefully that should get you into Safe Mode.

if you can get into safe mode, I can show you how to cancel a scheduled run of chkdsk

Using Command Prompt
To cancel a scheduled check disk, open an elevated CMD window, type the following and hit Enter:
chkntfs /x c:
Here c is the drive letter. This should cancel the scheduled chkdsk run.

Now if it happens all the time, I think you need to consider replacing boot drive as it could be a sign its going bad.

Jan 14, 2022
Hey so I did everything to the point where it says BCDEDIT /SEt default. when I do that it says the boot configuration data store could not be opened. the requested system device cannot be found. What do I do now?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think the drive might be faulty but

This is bad news on a GPT disk using UEFI rather than BIOS. Essentially, the system is looking for the EFI partition, which in this case is either missing or corrupt.

If it’s corrupt but still exists, you can simply enter diskpart, select the system partition (usually around 500 MB in size and with an ID of “EFI”) and assign it a letter, exit diskpart, and then perform a chkdsk command on the new partition assignment. This sometimes will correct it. Other times, forcibly removing the EFI and boot folders from the EFI partition and then executing the bcdboot command with a specific system partition parameter (e.g.: bcdboot X:\windows /s E:, where X: is the Windows partition and E: is the EFI paritition) works.

you can find out if it exists by (in command prompt)
type diskpart and press enter
list volume and press enter
the efi partition will be FAT32 and might be marked system
hG9xkfP.jpg