Scored 3904 in 3DMark06! Is this normal for my System??

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Hi, so i ran 3DMark06 for the first time today cause i was having some problems with my geforce 7800gtx, and i scored 3904 total :? Is this normal for my system?? Tell me what you think, Thanks.

Here it is:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (scored around 850)
Asus a8n-sli Premium
Seasonic 600W PSU
Xfx geforce 7800Gtx 256mb (450Mhz)
2gigs Corsair RAM
WD Raptor 150GB
Display - LG 19' LCD monitor

jacobmervine

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
hu i get around 4800 in 3dmark06 with my system but mines overclocked to max :) that might help mine , have you updated all your drivers? that some times can hender performance :D

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Your System Is OverClocked To The MAX !! I Think 3900 Point in 3DMark 2006 Is Normal For a Stock 7800GTX :twisted:
Hey rHy0 Dont Worry , Your System Is Normal , You Can OC your CPU and GPU To Max and Get Over 5000 Point in 3DMark 2006 :twisted:

singhr3

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
looks good to me.
my 3dmark06 score is 4489 at stock settings with a 7900gt, which i believe is the same as a 7800gtx. ( cpu score is 1600 ).

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Alright thanks guys for the help but my system if far from alright... For some strange reason my graphics cards performance is constantly reducing. Its at a point now where i get 30fps min in FEAR and thats with every setting on mimimum detail! :cry: :evil: Its wierd cause nothing on my system detects a problem!! which makes things worse!! If anyone knows whats going on plz help cause im about to give up on it!!

sik1977

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2005
Yes that score (approx. 4000) is quite normal for your setup. Check my setup, and you'll see I have a very similar one to yours. Same CPU and Graphics card (though its slightly more Factory overclocked). I get around 4200 in 3dMark06 and 8600+ in 3DMark05.

The reason for a lower score in 3Dmark06 is the fact that it figures CPU scores in the final 3Dmark06 score as opposed to 3Dmark05 which only figured in the Graphics card scores. Hence, anyone with a dual-core processor will score a lot better then a single core owner in 3Dmark06.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Some of this is basic and cand be seen on many threads here, and maybe you already know/tried this but here goes:

definitly like was said above, update drivers. get them for your mobo chipset @ nvidias site along w/ the video card ones. Also, make sure you dont have drivers from an old hardware install, like old ati drivers or something. (should show up in add and remove programs)

Also, make sure you dont have an antivirus running in background durring the game as that will definitly slow you down. I am assuming this is a fairly new install of windows? (if not then you may need a repair/brand new install) get a good defrag util like diskkeeper and run it. Windows defrag is not good enough.

This one takes time: Go to msconfig and under startup tab uncheck everything and restart when prompted. Nothing there is required to run the system... after that then try the game. if all is ok then you can start re-enabling each one and restarting and running until you find the one that is causing the prb. I would reccomend keeping most of the stuff in there diabled anyway as it is mostly useless like quick time task and winamp helper (or whatever it is called) These are mostly craplets from programs that just eat resources for no reason.

If none of that worked then you can go to the more time consuming issue of reinstalling everything... unless someone else has another step i didn't think about... good luck.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
well, I have just had systems go on a slowdown trend that can be reversed once you find the (typically useless) app that is causing the slowdown... in rare cases I have had to do a repair/reinstall of windows to fix it as it was something that i liken to carbon buildup on engine cylinders in a car that need to be "burned off"... kinda weak analogy but ya, it is common.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
It seems the CPU DOES make a noticable difference in3DMark 05/06
I guess anything faster than a Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz HT will have diminishing returns.
Correct ?

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Yeah i did try that but i had a problem. I just disabled 1 first but when i restarted it just kept freezing, and then it gave me the safe mode screen so i had to start in safe mode and set msconfig back to default!? I really have the feeling this is a serious problem...

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
ya, that is not usually a good thing cause everything in the startup tab of msconfig is non-essential for windows to run. So if there is lockups after disabling them then that is not a good sign...

...of course you said you disabled only 1? Perhaps try disabling all of them cause it may be that another you didn't disable relied on the one you did and thus the lockup. Try it w/o any checked in the startup tab and see if it locks... if it does then you will be looking at a reinstall unless someone else on the forum here has found a different fix for this issue... ?? anyone... ??

I dont know of one though... bummer but good 'cause you will have a new clean os soon... gotta look at the bright side. 8)

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Alright thanks for all your help man, i really think ill just reinstall windows and just hope my games run flawlessly again. Really preciate your support. thanks again.

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
OK , Here What I Think You Should Do Friend :
1- BeForce You Delete Your Windows , Install an Anti Virus Program To Make Sure You Dont Have Any Virus !!
2- Intsall a Fresh Windows XP SP2
3- Install Your Mobo Drivers From The Mobo CD ( I Dont Recommanded Download The Newer Version !)
4- Install nVidia 84.20 Driver (Download it From www.9down.com)
5- Dont Install Any thing else , Just Install F.E.A.R. and Check the Performance ( You SHOULD be Able To Play It at 1024x768+4xAA+16xAF At Maximum Setteing , But Without SofShadows because it doesnt work with AA)
6- If Still Have Problem ... Thats Beyond My Understanding :twisted:

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Okay wait a second 84.20!? I didnt know bout that driver! It wasnt on nvidia website, only 81.98. Are you sure that would work for my vid card 7800gtx 256mb?

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
nv continually releases beta and pre-release versions... not really sure why they do that and then take months before one of those versions makes it on their site... ati just releases theirs official ~ once a month on their site so it is different.

Sometimes you can get better perf out of Nv's pre-release stuff on these other sites, especially on newer cards.

xgas

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
The conclusion is that if you run 3DMark06 without a dual core CPU, your screwed, a few friend at a forum(www.tweaksrus.com/forums) discussed this, and some of them with dual core and single core cpus test with same hardware(exp CPU), its just that the CPU test in 3DMark06 now count more percentage in the total 3DMark, thats somewhat forcing us to move to dual core.

If your lazy to read the above, I mean that wthout a Dual core cpu, your 3DMark in 3DMark06 is screwed.

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Okay so i updated my driver and ran 3DMark06 again and got 3967 compared to my previous 3906 score. FEAR, a bit better but my system still cant run it like it used to :( So im just gonna do a clean windows install.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
he is actually talking about a slowdown he is having in a game like FEAR. he mentioned that in an above post man.

@rHy0:
it is always worth a try doing what px7800 said... worst case is that you are reinstalling windows and that is never a bad thing for a system, just time consuming. Just remember when you get to the point of installing 3rd party software be selective on what you install... dont just assume that whatever comes w/ a video card/mobo/other peripherial is good software. (this is after what he said above about only installing the drivers and the game and testing)

Most extra disks that come w/ stuff are pointless to install and you will never use. Some you may use. If you have a doubt on whether or not you will use something then just dont install it. The more misc junk you get on a system the slower it could perform.

But try it, it is essentially what I was saying earlier just prb better to understand how he wrote it... :)

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Okay guys i just started copying the things i need to CD and im unable to copy 3DMark06 which i payed for today! Ive never needed to reinstall windows before so i dont know much about this. Is there a way around this?

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
you should be able to copy the executable that you downloaded to disk. Not sure why you wouldn't be able to do that... also just check w/ futuremark online and if you bought through them then you should be able to re-download it and just use your registration again...

just check w/ them to make sure... they should help you out if you paid for it.