[SOLVED] Screen artifacts. Is it my GPU or RAM?

basarbasar

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
0hqx3ez.jpeg
avjfzNf.jpeg

Hello. First of all, these are my specs:
Ryzen 5 5500
Adata XPG D30 3200Mhz 16GB
Sapphire RX 6700 non-XT Pulse
Gigabyte B450M H UD
WD Green 480GB NVMe
NZXT C650B Bronze PSU
I get artifacts mostly in bios and when booting up. Gpu usage is low in most games. I've also gotten different artifacts like white screen with black lines etc... And i've gotten bsods.
Any help appreciated!

Solution
I'm testing, haven't seen any artifacts while using just one of any of the sticks yet.
I forgot to say this, but all my parts are like 5 days old. So, i can return any of them, I'm just deciding whether i should return my GPU or my RAM first.
Sounds like it is a RAM related problem then, take the stick that you can identify does not work well and have it replaced. Even if it was the GPU, you want zero errors on RAM regardless, so go with that first and then proceed from there.

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
Because you also mentioned BSOD I would say the RAM is the culprit. Do you have a kit? Like a 2x8gb. Try it with 1 stick, if it still does it try it with the other. If this is recent and you are using a new GPU it could also be gpu drivers, but that would not really explain BSODs. You can download memtest86 and install it onto a free USB stick, and run the memtest or you can run windows built in memory test by going into the search, "memory diagnostic", then it should ask you to restart. It will boot into the built in windows memory test.

basarbasar

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
Those look more like bad monitor or bad video cable issues.
Try with a different monitor/different video cable.

Can you show a screenshots from BIOS and from windows?
Any BSOD screenshots?

Because you also mentioned BSOD I would say the RAM is the culprit. Do you have a kit? Like a 2x8gb. Try it with 1 stick, if it still does it try it with the other. If this is recent and you are using a new GPU it could also be gpu drivers, but that would not really explain BSODs. You can download memtest86 and install it onto a free USB stick, and run the memtest or you can run windows built in memory test by going into the search, "memory diagnostic", then it should ask you to restart. It will boot into the built in windows memory test.

These artifacts happened after i removed one of the ram sticks and launched battlefield 5 which made my computer crash and produce these artifacts. I can't seem to replicate what happened after installing both ram sticks. I will run a memtest though

Haven't been able to screenshot any BSOD's, but the day i built my pc i got PFN_LIST_CORRUPT bsod.

I doubt that is caused by ram.
To check,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If you eventually get a good looking screen, the monitor is probably ok.
If you never get a good display, look to a graphics card issue or possibly a cable connection issue.

basarbasar

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
To check,

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.

If you never get a good display, look to a graphics card issue or possibly a cable connection issue.

xxtnJg4.png

Ran windows memory diagnostics and got this. 2 errors i think? Is it a good test? I will run memtest but this took like 30 minutes
Edit: it says: "The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected hardware errors. To identify and repair these problems, contact the computer manufacturer"

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
xxtnJg4.png

Ran windows memory diagnostics and got this. 2 errors i think? Is it a good test? I will run memtest but this took like 30 minutes
Edit: it says: "The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected hardware errors. To identify and repair these problems, contact the computer manufacturer"
Are you able to open the results and send a screenshot of them here?

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
KAHhFsA.png

Don't know what it means but here. There is also "T12NumBadPages 1" others below T10NumBadPages is 0
According to that test your memory failed. But others claim it isn't memory related so I would also run a memtest on it to be sure.
Use:
To check,

Yeah ill do that thank you. I'll run it for 10+ hours
Your failure might not be ram related, but it needs to be cleaned up if you have ram errors regardless.If you get a full pass completely clean, then your ram should be ok.

Just ONE error is bad.
Most ram comes with a lifetime warranty so a replacement should not cost.
A common error is to use two ram sticks with the same part number, but not from a single matched kit.

Ryzen is very picky about ram. Not all seemingly good ram will work.
Look at the motherboard ram qvl support list for your motherboard.
There will be different tables, depending on processor.
If your ram part number is on the list, it means that it has been tested on the motherboard and is supported.

Alternatively, since the QVL list may not be updated, go to the ram vendor selection app and see if your ram part number appears on the list.
Your ram is 3200 speed and is technically overclocked to 1.35v from the default of 1.2v. Sometimes specifying a higher voltage can make balky ram work.

basarbasar

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
Your failure might not be ram related, but it needs to be cleaned up if you have ram errors regardless.If you get a full pass completely clean, then your ram should be ok.

Just ONE error is bad.
Most ram comes with a lifetime warranty so a replacement should not cost.
A common error is to use two ram sticks with the same part number, but not from a single matched kit.

Ryzen is very picky about ram. Not all seemingly good ram will work.
Look at the motherboard ram qvl support list for your motherboard.
There will be different tables, depending on processor.
If your ram part number is on the list, it means that it has been tested on the motherboard and is supported.

Alternatively, since the QVL list may not be updated, go to the ram vendor selection app and see if your ram part number appears on the list.
Your ram is 3200 speed and is technically overclocked to 1.35v from the default of 1.2v. Sometimes specifying a higher voltage can make balky ram work.

mx0e329.png

I got 13 errors all on hammer test. For some reason it only shows 1 error in detail, doesn't show the other error bits. So are my rams actually bad?
Edit: Ran memtest without XMP, got errors in test 13 again, 1 in the same address (39C36BC60).

Last edited:

basarbasar

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
When you are using just the other stick, do you get artifacts and black lines?

I'm testing, haven't seen any artifacts while using just one of any of the sticks yet.
I forgot to say this, but all my parts are like 5 days old. So, i can return any of them, I'm just deciding whether i should return my GPU or my RAM first.

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
Sounds like it is a RAM related problem then, take the stick that you can identify does not work well and have it replaced. Even if it was the GPU, you want zero errors on RAM regardless, so go with that first and then proceed from there.

Solution
When you rma ram, the vendor will want to replace the entire kit since ram must be matched.
They usually ask you to run memtest to document the error.

Possibly, they will arrange an exchange where you buy a replacement and get it credited back when the defective kit is sent back.