[SOLVED] Screen flashes and monitor goes black after new harddrive installed.

Mar 23, 2021
Hello I had an issue with my pc and would like some advice. I recently installed a new hard drive/ gpu to my pc a 1160super. I updated the gpu drivers but yesterday my monitors flashed and went black and monitors stayed off for several minutes while playing a game. Monitors have since returned but now cpu is running at 100 percent whenever I attempt to load any game causing a crash and stating gpu drivers restarted when the monitor comes back. I am wondering if this could be an issue with the drivers for motherboard/ bios/cpu or could it be a power issue. I checked all fans appear to be running and cpu fan goes up when cpu is under load. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Solution
I did not uninstall old drivers with DDu (i dont know what DDU is) this only happens when playing games all cords are connected properly. I did have issues because I used an adaptor to my old 980 ti from 6 to 8 pin i think that psu might be the culprit. However system ran completely fine for about 2 months with new gpu until I put this new hard drive into my pc which the games are currently installed on.
This is where you can get DDU. I would google and watch a tutorial on youtube about how to use DDU.
Hello I had an issue with my pc and would like some advice. I recently installed a new hard drive/ gpu to my pc a 1160super. I updated the gpu drivers but yesterday my monitors flashed and went black and monitors stayed off for several minutes while playing a game. Monitors have since returned but now cpu is running at 100 percent whenever I attempt to load any game causing a crash and stating gpu drivers restarted when the monitor comes back. I am wondering if this could be an issue with the drivers for motherboard/ bios/cpu or could it be a power issue. I checked all fans appear to be running and cpu fan goes up when cpu is under load. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
What is an exact list of system components? Please include the full make and model of all connected parts.

Did you make sure you have the monitors connected to the new graphics card on the back and not the motherboard?
Did you uninstall the old drivers with DDU?
Did you make sure to plug in any 6 or 8 pin power connectors to the new card from the PSU?
Have you check CPU and GPU temperatures with a monitoring utility program?

Mar 23, 2021
msi 1660 super gtx
z170 gaming 7 mother
6700k skylake
3200 16g x2 hyper x ram ddr 3
Psu is i cant remember at the moment ill have to check a 850w gold.
Was monitoring with msi gpu app cpu/gpu do not go above 50 degrees all fans appear to be working. I did not uninstall old drivers with DDu (i dont know what DDU is) this only happens when playing games all cords are connected properly. I did have issues because I used an adaptor to my old 980 ti from 6 to 8 pin i think that psu might be the culprit. However system ran completely fine for about 2 months with new gpu until I put this new hard drive into my pc which the games are currently installed on.

Last edited:
I did not uninstall old drivers with DDu (i dont know what DDU is) this only happens when playing games all cords are connected properly. I did have issues because I used an adaptor to my old 980 ti from 6 to 8 pin i think that psu might be the culprit. However system ran completely fine for about 2 months with new gpu until I put this new hard drive into my pc which the games are currently installed on.
This is where you can get DDU. I would google and watch a tutorial on youtube about how to use DDU.

Solution