[SOLVED] Screen Flickering & GPU Issue

kanewarriors

Commendable
Jul 27, 2018
Hi Everyone

For the past couple of weeks I have had a screen flickering problem (especially when using Google Chrome). It is usually only on half of the screen each time. Have had the screens around 1 year and not had any problems before. Is starting to drive me crazy. (edit - it is not really a flickering as such but a shaking). The page kind of vibrates up and down and the font gets difficult to read)

I have dual monitors (one connected by HDMI and one by DVI) and a RX 580 8gb GPU (around 2 years old).

I have tried to reinstall my drivers, adjust frequency setting on monitors and a lot of other things.

I also checked my GPU was sitting correctly and when I went to pull it away from the motherboard I was pushing the lever thing the wrong way and when I pulled the GPU out I heard a large cracking noise. I am worried I have damaged the GPU or the motherboard. Everything seems to be running fine and haven't noticed any problems as yet (was 2 hours ago) but still concerned. Would i see some immediate issues if I did damage it?

So I have have two issues. Would appreciate any feedback and advice.

Thanks

Kane

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
If BOTH monitors are "flickering" then the logical thing is to assume common cause instead of both monitors being defective so my guess would be some sort of intermittent output clocking problem on the GPU.

I had issues with my HD5770 driving me nuts due to the GPU getting stuck at idle memory clocks when playing video at the same time as running something 3D. Caused both monitor refresh glitches and horrible 3D performance. Basically, the monitor refresh gets starved for memory bandwidth because the 3D engine is grossly overwhelming memory at idle clocks. IIRC, the only "fix" I found (until I replaced it with a GTX1050) was to not use hardware-accelerated video decoding if I wanted to play video while playing a game or using anything else 3D.

kanewarriors

Commendable
Jul 27, 2018
If BOTH monitors are "flickering" then the logical thing is to assume common cause instead of both monitors being defective so my guess would be some sort of intermittent output clocking problem on the GPU.

I had issues with my HD5770 driving me nuts due to the GPU getting stuck at idle memory clocks when playing video at the same time as running something 3D. Caused both monitor refresh glitches and horrible 3D performance. Basically, the monitor refresh gets starved for memory bandwidth because the 3D engine is grossly overwhelming memory at idle clocks. IIRC, the only "fix" I found (until I replaced it with a GTX1050) was to not use hardware-accelerated video decoding if I wanted to play video while playing a game or using anything else 3D.

Thank you for your reply. I purchased a new HDMI cable yesterday which I thought fixed the issue but it actually hasn't. Only one screen is having the issue now. And it is contact whether I am browsing the web or using photoshop or anything. So either the screen is faulty, the HDMI slot on the GPU is faulty or some setting is causing the issue. I don't think it is any settings because they have been working with no problem for over a year and I haven't changed anything recently.

Either I need to buy a new screen, get a HDMI to display port cable to test another GPU slot or the GPU itself is faulty which I am praying is not the case.

kanewarriors

Commendable
Jul 27, 2018
Update - I have found that the problem was the screen. I plugged it into a family members PC and the flickering was still there. Since I used a new HDMI cable the problem must be the screen itself.