[SOLVED] Screen goes black when gaming, audio still works.

Oct 13, 2019
Ok so I’m at my wits end with this one. Shortly after the latest Windows update my screen randomly went black mid way through my second game of rocket league. The audio continued. I can also surf the internet with no problems. I did go black once when I tried to resize a window by dragging it to the top of the screen. I have tried:

1- reverting back to and older windows version. Well I tried to but it told threw up an error right at the end of the recovery phase.

2- updates the bios

3- updates the graphics drivers

4- downloaded old graphics drivers.

To note. Occasionally the fans will go mad but that hasn’t happened since updating the bios.

Anyone got any ideas before I throw it out the window?

Thanks!!!

Solution
I am having this exact same issue, have also reverted drivers and even reinstalled windows, as well as updating bios etc. etc.

I'm using an r9 390 though. I have a feeling this means the GPU is on the way out... but I don't want to invest a new GPU before I know for sure it's not some other component. Here's a post I made elsewhere describing the issue, still troubleshooting...

Troubleshooting Help:
** Parts List ** i5 -4770k
Intel Motherboard (can find exact model if needed) 16GB ddr3 RAM (4x4gb)
xfx r9 390
EVGA 750w Modular PSU
Fractal Design Define R5 case
Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive. Occasionally (read, every ~20-40 minutes, though occasionally longer) my...
Oct 13, 2019
I should also mention I have 8GB RAM
MSI b150m mortar motherboard
Gtx 1060

And the temps are fine up to going black then I’m not sure because I can’t see.

purxiz

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2012
I am having this exact same issue, have also reverted drivers and even reinstalled windows, as well as updating bios etc. etc.

I'm using an r9 390 though. I have a feeling this means the GPU is on the way out... but I don't want to invest a new GPU before I know for sure it's not some other component. Here's a post I made elsewhere describing the issue, still troubleshooting...

Troubleshooting Help:
xfx r9 390
EVGA 750w Modular PSU
Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive. Occasionally (read, every ~20-40 minutes, though occasionally longer) my system will blackscreen, although sound will continue to play. This will continue (although sometimes the sound will go away with the system power remaining on, i.e. lights on, fans spin, etc.) indefinitely until I manually shutdown by holding down the power button, and restart. The issue has been most frequent when streaming video from an online service, or when playing (or loading into) League of Legends. I have been able to run Furmark for 2+ hours with no crashes however, which makes me thing it might not be a hardware issue. But I also find it very unlikely it's a software issue; more details below. The whole system had been running fine for 6+ months (I recently swapped out the motherboard, as my old motherboard died), so I don't think it's an installation/build error either. The black screens have been going on for about two weeks. I believe all video input to the monitors is lost, not just that windows is displaying a black screen visually, since the monitors turn off as though I had turned off my computer when this happens.
List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.
After I noticed the black screen the first couple of times, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling video drivers, issues persisted.
I downloaded HWMonitor, and checked temps over several hours, with a max of 85C, maybe a bit high, but nothing that should be causing black screen. There were crashes during this period.
Next, I uninstalled windows, formatted my ssd, and reinstalled, in an attempt to eliminate any driver issues. After roughly 20 minutes of watching The Boys on Amazon Prime post reinstall, I got a black screen again, with the sound continuing to play in the background.
This is when I downloaded and ran Furmark for ~2 hours in an attempt to reproduce the crash. It ran fine for 3+ hours, with no crash, with a maximum temp reached of 86F on the GPU.
I've checked event viewer after every crash, and found nothing in errors or critical, other than the kernel power error, which I believe comes from me manually turning off the machine by holding the power button.
Help?
At this point, I really have no idea what's left to try. I'm open to buying a new GPU, but I'd rather not spend the money if this isn't a GPU issue. I'm trying to get a hold of another machine to test out the GPU in, but for now assume that's not a possibility. If anyone can provide any info, or if this isn't the right subreddit, please let me know!
Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019

Troubleshooting Help:
xfx r9 390
EVGA 750w Modular PSU
Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive. Occasionally (read, every ~20-40 minutes, though occasionally longer) my system will blackscreen, although sound will continue to play. This will continue (although sometimes the sound will go away with the system power remaining on, i.e. lights on, fans spin, etc.) indefinitely until I manually shutdown by holding down the power button, and restart. The issue has been most frequent when streaming video from an online service, or when playing (or loading into) League of Legends. I have been able to run Furmark for 2+ hours with no crashes however, which makes me thing it might not be a hardware issue. But I also find it very unlikely it's a software issue; more details below. The whole system had been running fine for 6+ months (I recently swapped out the motherboard, as my old motherboard died), so I don't think it's an installation/build error either. The black screens have been going on for about two weeks. I believe all video input to the monitors is lost, not just that windows is displaying a black screen visually, since the monitors turn off as though I had turned off my computer when this happens.
List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.
After I noticed the black screen the first couple of times, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling video drivers, issues persisted.
I downloaded HWMonitor, and checked temps over several hours, with a max of 85C, maybe a bit high, but nothing that should be causing black screen. There were crashes during this period.
Next, I uninstalled windows, formatted my ssd, and reinstalled, in an attempt to eliminate any driver issues. After roughly 20 minutes of watching The Boys on Amazon Prime post reinstall, I got a black screen again, with the sound continuing to play in the background.
This is when I downloaded and ran Furmark for ~2 hours in an attempt to reproduce the crash. It ran fine for 3+ hours, with no crash, with a maximum temp reached of 86F on the GPU.
I've checked event viewer after every crash, and found nothing in errors or critical, other than the kernel power error, which I believe comes from me manually turning off the machine by holding the power button.
Help?
At this point, I really have no idea what's left to try. I'm open to buying a new GPU, but I'd rather not spend the money if this isn't a GPU issue. I'm trying to get a hold of another machine to test out the GPU in, but for now assume that's not a possibility. If anyone can provide any info, or if this isn't the right subreddit, please let me know!
Thanks!
Found what it was, I replaced the thermal paste on my cpu and that did the trick

Solution

purxiz

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2012
Found what it was, I replaced the thermal paste on my cpu and that did the trick

Interesting, looks like my issue was totally different. I ended up grabbing a working graphics card out of my gf's desktop, as she was away for a couple days, and had no crashes while using that GPU. So I bought a new one and haven't had any crashes with it either! Anyway, I'm pretty sure my GPU was the issue. I am confused as to why thermal paste fixed your issue, as you reported no strange temps, but oh well. Best of luck!

Oct 13, 2019
Interesting, looks like my issue was totally different. I ended up grabbing a working graphics card out of my gf's desktop, as she was away for a couple days, and had no crashes while using that GPU. So I bought a new one and haven't had any crashes with it either! Anyway, I'm pretty sure my GPU was the issue. I am confused as to why thermal paste fixed your issue, as you reported no strange temps, but oh well. Best of luck!

I have just spent the past hour trying to work out what the problem is as taking out the graphics card and putting it back in again must have reset the problem for a while. I managed to get on long enough to update my drivers and download the windows update so that has worked so far.

Oct 17, 2019
I had same issue. When i changed PSU. It is working great.

I think that your psu doesn't fit your gpu. When your gpu are too hungry for power, the psu is struggling give it to exact voltage.

Last edited: