Screen resolution issue ( generic non-pnp monitor )

Status
Not open for further replies.

memoryram

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Hey,
My screen resolution is stuck to 1024x768.
I can't switch to 1920x1024.
I did a fresh windows 7 install with newest video card and monitor driver.
On display, I see generic non-pnp monitor.
When I boot on my live ubuntu dvd, I can put 1920x1024 and linux see my samsung screen.

alz_solstice

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Generic Non-PnP Monitor means that your Monitor Driver was not installed properly, it should have replaced the device name. Anyway, are you using a laptop or desktop? If desktop, are you using VGA or DVI cable? Try to use a DVI Cable, mine was able to do the trick. Another is that you said you installed the Video Driver? I don't think so, because if you did, the resolution should've extended to 1920x1024. What Video Card are you using.?

alz_solstice

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Check the NVIDIA Control Panel, sorry as I'm not a Linux User.

Open the NVIDIA Control Panel
On the left side, click Change Resolution
Chech if your Monitor is being detected.
There is also a Customize button where you can create your own resolution, just click the button.

alz_solstice

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Sheesh.. Can you show me the Hardware IDs of your Monitor?

- Open Device Manager
- Expand 'Monitors' Category
- Right click 'Generic PnP Monitor', on popup menu select Properties
- On popup window, click the Details Tab
- On Details Tab, click the dropdown box, select Hardware ID and provide a screenshot.

IanB59

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
I had this same problem of Display showing Generic Non-PnP Monitor in Windows 7. I was using an extension cable for the vga monitor. I disconnected the cable and plugged the monitor cable straight into the back of the PC and it fixed it, Display now shows my correct monitor type and the resolution is correct.

Iestinio77

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014
I had his problem, it was a simple fix, it seems that the problem is the cable itself, i had to change cables as one identified the monitor as Generic non-PnP, stuck at 1024x768, and the new one i bought identified it correctly and the drivers did their job, see if it makes a difference for you :)

Alex LeiF

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
I just had this problem on windows 8.
Max resolution was limited by what windows thinks your non-pnp monitor can handle.
In my case, it was using my tv as a second screen, which i know can do 1920*1080

I went into my AMD Catalyst control center, My VGA Displays > Properties
Then unchecked the box marked "Use ... EDID or driver defaults"
Then change the max resolution below to what you know is the limit of your device.

BTW this was using a seriously old vga cable, with vga in back of tv and dvi adapter at back of pc
Apply changes.

Et voila...
Screen instantly changes to the correct resolution.

turki1

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015

Isaac_303

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I have spent hours trying to fix this, and even ended up trying to get help from HP (with zero results)

Your fix is what worked. FINALLY.

m a___

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016

lecheminantr

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Had a similar issue when using dual screens. DVI through Dell D-Port adapter worked fine, VGA shown up as Generic non-PnP. VGA cable was old. Simply replaced it with a new one and rebooted. Screen was then detected as proper model and resolution shown as expected.

timtak

Honorable
Sep 29, 2016
Remove the cable and reconnect.

I had the same problem. I have a large Samsung display but the driver was set to "generic non-pnp monitor" after briefly removing the cable. I think that the way I plugged the cable into my laptop, slightly at an angle, may have had something to do with it. I tried deleting the driver but that did nothing! I pulled the plug on the cable and re-inserted. This time it has been recognised as a SMEX220 and the resolution is as high as I like it. In the device manager it still says Generic but now it is a pnp (plug n play?) monitor. And anyway it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.