Screen Tearing? Need help . gtx 550 ti --> GTX 580 - hmi to vga Q

gcortese

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Hey,

Basically im getting screen tearing in 1 or 2 of ym pc games, mostly in WoW and a very very little bit in Left 4 Dead 2. Now in other games im not getting any noticeble screen tearing, or if its some sort of synchronisation problem?

I bought a new gtx 580 from MSI, and its giving screen tearing in a few games listed above, bnut not in others, so i dont think the card is the problem. Up to now i have tried literally everything.

Now my question is, the gtx 580 obviously has a hdmi output, if I used this, by using a hdmi to vga cable, would my problem possibly go away? If not then my only resort is to buy a new monitor, which I can't do at the moment, when i get screen tearing its mostly at the top half / quarter of my screen.

cl-scott

Honorable
One time when I worked as a hardware tech, I had a laptop in with what was basically video tearing when the mouse cursor was in specific locations. Long story short, it turned out to be bad RAM. Even though it passed diagnostics, as soon as I replaced one of the RAM modules, the issue went away. So, that's at least something to try.

gcortese

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Thing is though, im only getting video tearing in 1 or 2 of my games, it works fine in other games, and with guild wars 2 comming out i dont want it to tear in there, since it seems with some games its tearing like WoW only but not with anything else.

gcortese

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
I updated to 304 earlier today and just had v sync as on, in global settings, would i tmake a difference if it was on adaptive?

Use Adaptive, global settings or game settings, doesn't matter. Adaptive VSync is an improvement over regular VSync by further smoothing out potential framerate spikes. There is no need to ever use regular VSync with Adaptive VSync available in the Nvidia Control Panel.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/04/16/nvidia_adaptive_vsync_technology_review/

cl-scott

Honorable

The way I see it you have two choices. Shoot down my idea and be guaranteed to continue having a problem, or run memtest86+ and maybe swap out modules where you have at least a slim chance of it solving the problem.

gcortese

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Thanks for your reply guys, ill try the memtest86+ and see if that has any influence and also try the adaptive v sync too.