Question Screen tearing out of no where

Oct 24, 2023
Hello,

One of my 2 monitors broke, which ofc is annoying, but for some reason after it broke, I have been getting very bad screen tearing since it broke.
The screen tearing is not as bad in games as it is when watching videos or just scrolling through a picture. Then it gets completely mad, and the screen tearing goes berserk.
Before the screen broke, I had never experienced anything like that. Not on my 60hz or 144hz (the one that broke). Also, none of those monitors have g-sync.

The graphics card in my computer is an Asus 1060 gtx 6gb, with a MSI Z370 Gaming pro motherboard and an i5-8600k.
I have tried reinstalling the graphics card driver and updating it to the newest version. I have also tried changing different settings such different v-sync settings and limiting the max amount of frame rates.
I have also tried connecting my pc to other monitors, and the screen tearing is the same. I have also tried connecting another pc to the monitors and then screen tearing was gone, so I think I can rule out that is a fault within the monitors. When the monitors were tested with a different computer the same cables were used without being moved out of their place.

I’m nowhere near the best IT guy, so I have absolutely done everything that I could, which is not much but at least I think I gathered some useful information.

Could it be graphics card nearing its end, or could it be some settings that have missed or done wrong? Or do you have a completely different solution or something I should try?

If you wish I will gladly provide screenshots of required settings and information if needed.

Hope I make myself understandable enough. English is not my native language.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Order 66
Oct 24, 2023
Do you have G-sync enabled?
No. None of the monitors have g-sync.
Also before it started screen tearing i haven't used g-sync because the monitors did not have that feature.
The main one I used that broke was a benq xl2411p