avi1231

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Specifically, TV vs monitor. Is there a performance decrease between using a TV as opposed to a monitor? I'm considering a 50" screen that I'll use mostly for movies/tv shows but I'll use it for some gaming.

Thoughts?

boabs

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
when a tv is desighned its made so that the person would be sitting atleast 3meters away from it. a monitor only half a half a meter away. monitor beats tv hands down.

avi1231

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
To be sure, Boabs. If I use it for gaming it'd be from far away. The point for me is that one of my primary leisure activities is movies/tv shows with my fiancee so a 23" screen involves a bit of huddling around to view it.

I'm just nervous about TVs' performance for gaming. They shouldn't have any problem rendering a game relative to a monitor right?

lankystreak

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009

i use a 50" lg plasma for tv, hd movies, xbox & pc gaming (1920x1080)..... fabulous and worth every penny (£500)

avi1231

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Thanks for that lankystreak. Follow-up Q, are wireless/ethernet capability on a TV completely useless if you're hooking to a PC?

Also, can you stream a video and/or audio signal to a TV and play games without having a Dsub/hdmi cable plugged in or would you just get horrid lag and make it useless?

Thanks for everyone's answer so far. :)

lankystreak

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009

unsure about the wireless/ethernet capability, if the tv you have/want has this feature no doubt it will prove some use in the future... the beginnings of internet tv

i connect the pc to tv via hdmi, audio is carried too, although i use my 5.1 system for audio.

xbox & sky hd is the same... hdmi

i have in the past used dvi to vga/ vga to vga/ dvi to hdmi... expensive waste of cable.

avi1231

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Thanks again, I had some annoying issues with calibrating the picture on my standard 23" Samsung when using HDMI cable rather than Dsub. Why would the picture settings change so much? Does that even make sense?

lankystreak

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
that problem could stem from your operating system and how it behaves when a tv is the primary display & the same goes with graphics card drivers.

i had nothing but trouble when using any connection other than hdmi in the past with older flat panel tv's, i have simply stuck to using hdmi. the nvidia control panel allows you to fine tune.

i would say that a new tv will give you better results (plasma are said to be better for television use) , win7 & a decent dx11 graphics card with a hdmi output will serve you well.

avi1231

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Naaaaa, I mean that for regular computer use the Dsub is great but the HDMI makes all the color whacky. I used the wizard in Win 7 to calibrate as best I could but still kind irritated my eyes. Then again, most of the time when you have a new screen your eyes take a bit to adjust. :)

Then, I'm also not sure what kinda pros vs cons there are for Dsub cable vs HDMI. :D

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012
I've had a 47" 240 hz LED hooked up to my gtx 295 for almost two years now and I have never seen gaming quality like that screen. With that being said I also have a 27" LED hooked up to the other output. I have a wireless keyboard for laying in bed and watching flicks and playing games like skyrim and Kingdom's of Amular with the 360 controller, and I use the 27" with the R A T and the TT keyboard for battlefield and shooters.

For shooters the big screen is laggy, for any other game (especially DCS: A10 flight simulator), the big screen is unreal.