Question Screw-holding screwdriver to fasten motherboard ?

PuzzledToo

Reputable
May 14, 2020
I’m tired of dropping motherboard screws & need a screwdriver that holds Phillips head screws. I have an old one that uses what might be called jaws or tongs but it frequently drops screws.

Has anyone used one like this? I question if the slotted part that hold the screw might get in the way in tight spots.
https://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-0453-17C-Holding-Screwdriver-Phillips/dp/B003NFG95O

Or am I better off using a magnetic screwdriver?

I’ve stayed away from magnetic screwdrivers because I used to play around with tape recorders & didn’t want to anything magnetized. But maybe it’s time to get one.

Any comments would be appreciated,
Thanks

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree - a magnetic screwdriver is very handy for this. NOTE the comments from one user about this one from Greenlee. For INSTALLING, it works to get the screw into place and turn it in MOST of the way. BUT then you must STOP, PUSH the screwdriver to the side to release the screw (requires side clearance), and finish using a NORMAL screwdriver. For REMOVING a screw that is already tightened in, this unit does NOT allow you to grab that screw, and may not even be able to engage the screw head.

Reactions: PuzzledToo
Sometimes, an excessively magnetized screwdriver can be a real annoyance. But you can fine-tune how magnetic your existing screwdrivers are... by simply improperly using your electric tape head demagnetizer to adjust that (you are supposed to gradually pull those away to a great distance, but just shut it off while it's close to magnetize, and experiment with the distance to shutoff to set the level of magnetism).

Of course, some computer screws do seem to be nonmagnetic like 304 stainless is. For those, the alternative to the old claw type screw-holding screwdrivers are the Quick-Wedge or VACO split-point style which can get into places the claw type simply cannot. The Klein-type electrician's screwdrivers like those Greenlees look even worse than claws and don't seem like something you'd want to use in tight confines.

For just one or two difficult screws, there's always electrical tape to hold it onto the screwdriver. The screw pulls right off when you want it to, unless you manage to get some tape under the head.

PuzzledToo

Reputable
May 14, 2020
Thanks for all the comments & suggestions. As pointed out, a negative about the Greenlee is REMOVING a screw that is already tightened in. I'll have to get a set of magnetic screwdrivers.

I’ve stayed away from magnetic screwdrivers because I used to play around with tape recorders & didn’t want to anything magnetized. But maybe it’s time to get one.
Unless you're messing around with floppy disks, magnets are no longer a concern for PCs. Even with hard drives which use magnetism as the data recording mechanism, the magnetism they experience is much stronger than anything a typical screwdriver will have.

Reactions: Paperdoc

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
i need to find myself a screwdriver that can remove a stubborn screw on my Secondary Laptop Machine lol

As for Desktop i use a kinda smallish magnetic screwdriver to work on tasks inside, which reminds me i gotta find it soon to put a 2nd screw into video card PCi-e screw area, some reason PC shop that built the PC in June 2020 only put 1 Screw in to secure the card to the system, Hopefully when i get time, i can get a second screw to fit in the first hole and then card fully secure

Case is Thermaltake V200 TG RGB