Question Screwed up, lost my USB 2.0 drivers.

dragonorb13

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
So, the title pretty much says the important bit. My USB ports started resetting themselves on me after a windows update. Naturally, my first troubleshooting step was to uninstall the drivers, and let windows put them back on fresh. Well, it gave me back my USB 3.0 drivers, but my 2.0 equipment is non-operational. I've checked my system board manufacturer's site (Gigabyte B450 DS3H), but no 2.0 drivers, and the chipset didn't put them on. I'd really love to be able to get to my external hard drive. Anyone know where I can get a hold of them?

dragonorb13

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
usb 2.0 drivers are included with windows, no special drivers needed
check device manager if it doesnt report some issue there
It's not reporting any issues, or any missing drivers. But the 2.0 drivers that I'm 100% sure were there weren't reinstalled. And it refreshes itself about three times a second, which is really annoying. (And, I assume, a sign that windows might be corrupt.) I'm currently looking for my win 10 flash drive as we speak...

Colif

Win 11 Master
So, the title pretty much says the important bit. My USB ports started resetting themselves on me after a windows update. Naturally, my first troubleshooting step was to uninstall the drivers, and let windows put them back on fresh. Well, it gave me back my USB 3.0 drivers, but my 2.0 equipment is non-operational. I've checked my system board manufacturer's site (Gigabyte B450 DS3H), but no 2.0 drivers, and the chipset didn't put them on. I'd really love to be able to get to my external hard drive. Anyone know where I can get a hold of them?

Have you got latest bios? there was a known problem with USB on some Motherbaord/CPU combos so I just thought I ask
USB 2 shouldn't just stop, as said above, its part of windows, has been since 7 at least.

do the USB ports work in bios?

dragonorb13

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Have you got latest bios? there was a known problem with USB on some Motherbaord/CPU combos so I just thought I ask
USB 2 shouldn't just stop, as said above, its part of windows, has been since 7 at least.

do the USB ports work in bios?
I mean, that's the weird part. My keyboard and mouse are working just fine. But several peripheral devices aren't. My external drive and my G13, most critically. And they both stopped working at the same time, when I tried to force windows to reinstall the drivers. I did try the bios, and the chipset.

dragonorb13

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011

dragonorb13

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
I am enraged. The first attempt borked up during the verification process. The second attempt, I apparently hit "upgrade now" and it downloaded perfectly. But gave me no options. So I'm downloading it a third freaking time.

dragonorb13

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
So, um... I've finished downloading the current version. And it's not offering me actual choices on what to keep or not keep. Naturally, since I don't want to lose my stuff, this is concerning. Any reassurances anyone has? Or some fix for how to get around the issue?

Colif

Win 11 Master
So, um... I've finished downloading the current version. And it's not offering me actual choices on what to keep or not keep.
clearly don't do that yet

What are you doing? You are on 21H1 now, so the installer should just grab updates. it shouldn't install.
without USB 2 drivers, and all the other fixes not helping, a clean install might be only fix. But don't rush it.

dragonorb13

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
clearly don't do that yet

What are you doing? You are on 21H1 now, so the installer should just grab updates. it shouldn't install.
without USB 2 drivers, and all the other fixes not helping, a clean install might be only fix. But don't rush it.

When it starts, it brings up the the "looking for updates" Screen. Then it goes through a couple of screens, such as "choosing what to keep", but doesn't actually give me an option and just moves on to other things.

Colif

Win 11 Master
SSU = Servicing Stack Updates: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/servicing-stack-updates

interesting so the pc you update needs to have a certain version of files in DISM to update that way. I see why you got that error before now.

Still not seen that before, I would have thought all the needed files would be on the ISO, not need to grab additional just to run an update. SO that makes me wonder about people who update from win 7 now, would they have those files. Maybe they can only do clean and not keep. Curious.

Last edited:

dragonorb13

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Not going great. I've downloaded like five different Cumulative Updates and Servicing Stack Updates that should be applicable, and all of them say they're not for my system. So I am, naturally, displeased. Especially since not having access to external drives means I can't even back up the critical data. -.-"

Colif

Win 11 Master
Whatever removed USB 2 seems to have done more than that.

I would buy a few 32gb USB sticks and copy anything you need onto them. I got a 256gb USB this year, backup stuff I don't want to have to recreate... mostly my music collection.

Clean install of win 10 would fix it.