Scythe's Easy Mobile Rack Makes Use of Your 5.25'' Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

You have to be kidding me, mobile rack's for 3.5" drives for 5.25" bays have been around FOREVER. Ok, 10+ years easy and for under $20.. As well, ever since SATA was introduced they have been easy to mount and easy to plug slide in-out, and if the drive supports hot plug you can do it with the bay.. Man you guys must be hard up for articles...

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I second that Nooorrrmm. I've had at least two of these trays in my bench machines for at least 6-7 years for scanning customer drives and doing data recovery. For the type of application I see this most useful for, having my dual interface trays that support IDE drives as well as SATA (2.5" and 3.5" of course) is way more practical. If you're not connecting multiple different hard drives to your machine then you should be using an external HD enclosure anyway.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
What I like are the racks that turn two 5.25" bays into three 3.5" bays. Those are convenient, but cost around $100 and they don't even offer RAID capabilities, they're just bays. When the price on those comes down, then I'll be interested.

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]don't even offer RAID capabilities, they're just bays[/citation]So... you want a RAID card, with the 3 bays, with disk active cooling and hot swap for less than $100... Good luck with that ;).

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
This is a very nice, pretty advertisement.

Since a LOT of these kinds of things exist (just search on NewEgg for many examples), how about a comparison? Pros and Cons?

Rather than, "Hey, look at this nifty device!" how about, "Here are 5 single-bay devices for hot-plug, hot-swap 3.5" HDDs. We compare them for ease-of-use, durability, cooling, quality and value."

I'm working right now with a 3.5-in-5.25, two 5x3.5-in-3x5.25s, and a 4x2.5-in-5.25. The 3.5-in-5.25 is by far the simplest and also lowest-value. It would be great to see a review about one or more of the other form factors, because there are differences between the available devices on the market. Some of this might even be valuable over on the IT-Pro side of the publication.

Status
Not open for further replies.